The art of Kung fu tea

luchayi

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:57 am

When I was in Hangzhou a famous tea house where the tea was served with this practice was closed. Few days ago in my country (Italy) I was so lucky to be able to watch this art.
The performer comes from Sichuan and his family grows tea.
So I have made a video to share it, I hope you like it.

Bok
Vendor

Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:20 am

I never get this kind of performance... it does not make the tea better in any way, more likely worse.
Skillful, but pointless circus.
Tillerman
Vendor

Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:30 am

Bok wrote:
I never get this kind of performance... it does not make the tea better in any way, more likely worse.
@Bok Don't be so churlish. The spectacle certainly adds nothing to the tea but like many circus performances it can be great fun to watch.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:08 pm

@Tillerman true. It just gives unsuspecting people the wrong idea... I am probably a bit allergic to this kind of flashy, beautiful, yet empty performances as they are common in the martial arts world as well.
Baisao

Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:34 pm

Bok wrote:
Ditto. It's like hibachi hijinks: so much silly effort.

Speaking of hibachi, I'm so glad someone lampooned hibachi nonsense here on YouTube. If you don't enjoy Sichuan tea circus, you might be the kind to enjoy this. Sound is definitely recommended.
Janice

Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:10 pm

I wouldn’t choose a tea shop that used this technique for serving tea, but it was entertaining to watch the video, so thanks for sharing.

Maybe 6 years ago we were in a Chinese restaurant in Bangkok and a man was serving tea with one of those pots with a very very long spout. It was frivolous but fun, and that technique doesn’t hurt the tea, which in this case was a shou puerh.
John_B

Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:27 pm

Seems odd coming down on the negative side but I'd rather see someone juggle or do magic tricks, and I'm not that much of a fan of people juggling or doing magic tricks.
Tillerman
Vendor

Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:57 pm

Thankfully it has not appeared as such in this thread, but, at the risk of sounding priggish, I am quite tired of seeing the term gong fu used as a verb or gerund.
I enjoy gong fu brewing
not
I enjoy gong fuing
Shudder.
pizzapotamus

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:34 pm

Tillerman wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:57 pm
Thankfully it has not appeared as such in this thread, but, at the risk of sounding priggish, I am quite tired of seeing the term gong fu used as a verb or gerund.
I enjoy gong fu brewing
not
I enjoy gong fuing
Shudder.
I for one enjoy embiggening the language with perfectly cromulent words :twisted: but really gong fu as a verb would annoy me nearly as much as when people say things such as "go to the walmartS"

Oh and I thought the tea show was neat enough, probably not suited to sencha and thus not for me but neat.

Edit 2: I'm now picturing The Matrix "I know kung fu" and Neo busts out a tea set.....
Baisao

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:23 am

@Tillerman, I couldn’t agree more. To take it one step further, I am uncomfortable calling this way of preparing tea Gong Fu Cha.

What we collectively think of as Gong Fu Cha is distinct from other forms of tea making but I tend to think of it, at least in my internal dialogue, as simply “making tea”. However, when I am making sencha I think of it as “making sencha in the Japanese manner”. Perhaps this is because the former is more natural to me than the latter.

Anyway, I would like to eschew Gong Fu Cha for a better name if I could find one that avoided potentially nationalistic overtones. Ideally, it would be a name that alludes to the contributions of the various cultures involved in this manner of tea making.
wave_code

Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:10 am

Baisao wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:23 am
Anyway, I would like to eschew Gong Fu Cha for a better name if I could find one that avoided potentially nationalistic overtones. Ideally, it would be a name that alludes to the contributions of the various cultures involved in this manner of tea making.
An interesting point, and one that is going to probably become even more important over time. While saying you brew something grandpa style is pretty clear, western style also being pretty clear at least for the time being, but calling something gong fu brewing is and is probably going to become even blurrier territory. At present to me it implies the higher leaf/water ratio and going for multiple shorter steeps, but it is obviously both much more and less than that depending on how you want to dig into it.

Or even just as various styles of teaware or brewing technique get mixed together things get blurry fast. Heating water in a tetsubin and using a shibo to flash steep a high quality unbroken darjeeling - then what do we say we are doing? Or if I brew bancha but decide to use a pitcher to try and distribute the tea evenly that way rather than through my pouring method directly into a cup... so on.

Typically I'm brewing just for myself or my partner or one friend, so I get off easy by either having to say nothing at all or just "should I make some good tea?". Having or wanting to educate someone about various tea cultures, history, or brewing is something that luckily doesn't really fall on my shoulders.
There is no self

Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:53 am

Bit of context, since I recognised the festival where this video was taken :
The Festival dell'Oriente is a three-day festival of anything remotely related to the East. Exhibitions there range from mildly interesting to cheesy to "Edward Said is spinning in his grave". You can find Mongolian throat singers, and good food, but also people selling healing crystals or casting I Ching coins for you.
As others have guessed, this is just a stage performance, not supposed to be taken seriously in any way. Personally I didn't like it, but I can see why some people might.
beforewisdom

Thu May 02, 2019 6:39 pm

I thought this thread would be about the bubble tea chain "Kung Fu Tea".
Dresden

Mon May 27, 2019 1:37 am

I believe I saw in a tea documentary that these long spout pots originated in Sichuan tea houses to that guests could be served from a distance.

There is an article I saw about it here.
.m.

Mon May 27, 2019 2:36 am

+1 @Baisao @wave_code to your comments on gongfu.

I tend think of "Gong Fu Cha" as having two meanings:
1- making tea "with skill"
2- making tea "with pretension" (*nothing wrong with that)
Luckily i don't need to choose. can simply make tea. and try to learn to make it better.