tea when you travel

hopeofdawn

Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:26 am

Rickpatbrown wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:58 pm
Here's an even smaller kettle

Link

Capture.PNG
That's the one I use--it's been very reliable and heats water quickly. No complaints!
John_B

Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:04 am

I get it that people like to have their tea experience travel with them, and value experiencing it in different places, but I often use trips as a good time to take a break from tea.

Ramping down caffeine intake from time to time helps prevent that from becoming a concern, and the break makes me appreciate tea all the more when I get back to it.

Related to the literal question, in the past I've tried out carrying all sorts of things. A tea bottle works on a road trip for grandpa style brewing, along with using a small thermos to offset the need to get all of the water for the different rounds from gas stations.

Gas station water; that doesn't sound good, and it's typically not. Hotel rooms in Asia typically include kettles, so as long as one isn't squeamish about what else might have been in one that narrows things down. Bringing a gaiwan works; it's not tricky to make tea using only that, leaves, and water. I don't often bring Western infuser devices but I have.
LuckyMe

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:36 pm

Rickpatbrown wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:10 pm
Has anyone ever tried using an immersion heater? This just occured to me to be the ultimate in portability. Also looks like a good way to start a fire :lol:

Amazon Link
That's what I use in the office to heat water for tea. It works great but has its limitations. You can't bring more than 8 oz of water to full boil and it must remain submerged when powered on. Since it doesn't have an on/off switch, I had to attach a power adapter switch (https://www.walmart.com/ip/QVS-Single-P ... q4EALw_wcB as its annoying to have to keep pluging and unpluging the device.

If you can deal with these limitations, this is the most compact travel device for heating water .
There is no self

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:37 am

I usually bring a gaiwan and a cup - more than one cup and a fairness pitcher if I'm travelling with people who enjoy tea.
If I know I won't have time to boil water, I bring a chawan and a nice Japanese green I can cold brew. Admittedly, it works better during summer.
Elise

Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:44 pm

589B3580-D003-4E59-9A2A-5AA830769B1D.jpeg
589B3580-D003-4E59-9A2A-5AA830769B1D.jpeg (210.68 KiB) Viewed 8203 times
Taiwanese Honey green / green jassid from Kancha Tea after getting down from
Mont Fort (3330m) in the Swiss Alps. Simple glass gaiwan and thermos hot water bottle. Just right.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:15 am

Elise wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:44 pm
Mont Fort (3330m) in the Swiss Alps. Simple glass gaiwan and thermos hot water bottle. Just right.
Nice view! Did you find that the altitude affected the tea/perception of it?
Elise

Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:53 am

I can’t really tell but I would say no. There must be some tiny variations but when I drink tea in such occasions the taste comes after other things. The nice feeling of sharing a cup after a walk in nature is the central point of the session. But it’s a great tea and we brewed it with good water so it was really as nice as at home but with the nice view ;)
LiamW1

Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:31 am

hopeofdawn wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:55 am
My travel tea set consists of a one-cup electric kettle, a vacuum tea thermos with a removable brew basket, and a packet or two of teas I know are easy brewers. To save on space, I can tuck the tea right inside the kettle, and the kettle nestles into a corner of my luggage/travel bag. It works pretty well for hotels/Airbnbs--I learned early on that no matter how desperate you are, you do NOT want to use the coffee maker in the room to heat water for tea. That coffee smell permeates everything!

In airports and the like, I mostly get a pastry or something from a coffee shop and ask them to fill my tea thermos with hot water.
I like how you've done it. Seems to be very neat. Would you mind sharing the model of your thermos and kettle?