Tea timer web app

ggg
New user

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:31 pm

Hello all, I have created a tea timer web app that also works as a progressive web app (you can click the share button and save to home screen, for example on iOS).

https://www.perfectcupteatimer.com

It has a modest list of preset teas and times – it saves these to your browser’s “local storage”, and then you can add, remove or modify them to your liking (or restore to the defaults).
Check it out and feel free to use if timing teas is your thing (as a web developer I often zone out and end up with a wretched cup of bitter cold green or black tea or with rooibos or herbal teas sometimes I’m not sure if it’s been long enough…)

One caveat: iOS blocks autoplaying audio, so for technical reasons related to javascript, it should only play a sound one time on your iOS device.... for desktop, and I believe Android, it should ring pleasantly (hopefully) until you click the reset button.
pedant
Admin

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:09 pm

welcome to the forum. nice web app!

here's what i use:

Code: Select all

tea() {
  # reqirement: pip install termdown
  play_sound() {
    for i in $(seq 1 4);
    do
      afplay '/System/Library/Sounds/Glass.aiff' >/dev/null 2>&1
    done
  }
  post_alert() {
    (play_sound &)  # http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7686989/
    termdown --title "done!"
  }
  date
  termdown $1 && post_alert
}
it's a simple shell function. it uses termdown. you can add it to your .bashrc or .zshrc or whatever.

it's intended for macOS, so you'd probably have to adapt it slightly for another OS (specifically the part that plays sounds, `afplay`).

it accepts various time formats like '10' = 10s, '1m' = 60s, '1m30s' = 90s, etc.

after countdown ends, it beeps 4 times and then starts counting up so you can see how much extra time you've added (either intentionally or by being inattentive).
after you stop it, it prints when the timer was started and for how many seconds it counted up after it finished.