Combining Tea with other Interests

Noonie

Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:48 pm

Although I consider enthusiasm for quality tea as more than an interest or hobby, what other personal interests do you combine as part of your tea experience?

I like listening to music while going through a tea session, and as a cyclist I also enjoy watching cycling adventures on YouTube during tea sessions (easier than preparing and drinking tea while cycling ;-).

Of course, tea is easily enjoyed free of anything else...but I mix it up depending on time of day and how I’m feeling.
d.manuk

Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:53 pm

Very often I play video games while gong fuing.
swordofmytriumph

Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:57 pm

I read while drinking my tea. I primarily read fantasy. And even better is a good book and grandpa styling some green tea in the bathtub. Cause the relaxation from the tea combined with the relaxation from the bath is a fabulous stress reliever. Plus, the steam from the bath really helps with tasting the tea for some reason. Add a book for some escapism and I’m all set.
Noonie

Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:46 pm

swordofmytriumph wrote:
I read while drinking my tea. I primarily read fantasy. And even better is a good book and grandpa styling some green tea in the bathtub. Cause the relaxation from the tea combined with the relaxation from the bath is a fabulous stress reliever. Plus, the steam from the bath really helps with tasting the tea for some reason. Add a book for some escapism and I’m all set.
I find that reading a book during a tea session is challenging because I need my hands for tea preparation. I can use a Kindle though, propped against something
Baisao

Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:02 pm

My tearoom overlooks a nature preserve so I observe wildlife and the seasons while drinking tea and listening to the hifi. There’s a small creek about 100 feet below, deep in the valley that I can hear flowing. The clouds and light are magnificent. I can’t imagine doing anything better while having tea.
Bok
Vendor

Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:32 pm

swordofmytriumph wrote:
Plus, the steam from the bath really helps with tasting the tea for some reason
For this reason:

https://www.kyarazen.com/bad-incense-or-tea-day/
Bok
Vendor

Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:35 pm

Tea, with its inherent connection to pottery and other teaware is fabulously combined with my interest in pretty shapes and old things and their related history.

While drinking tea, I can admire and ponder those things. Other than that, for at least three rounds of one tea I do not focus on anything except the tea, before moving attention to a book or similar.
brutusK

Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:49 pm

Depends on what I'm up to! I try to pair the teas I'm drinking with the hobby or thing I'm doing. If it happens to be writing for work, it'll be something tasty but not anything I have to pay attention to. Frequently though, I find myself playing video games while gongfuing, same as Shine.

If it is a tea I really have to pay attention to, I definitely make sure to have no distractions: just meditation and tea.
Rickpatbrown

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:04 pm

I have yet to try it, but thought that hiking/backpacking and tea could provide for some spectacular experiences. I love both, but recently haven't gotten out for a good trip in the woods.
Imagine perching on a cliff for a sunset with some fresh spring water boiling on the whisperlite. Seems like a good idea to me.

I am a bit concerned of sensory overload, though. I have definitely tried to have a good session in an impromptu location. Sometimes it comes up a little short since I get distracted by other things. There is something to be said for having tea in a comfortable setting with few distractions. Good music always pairs well with tea.
Noonie

Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:34 am

Thanks for sharing so far! I agree that sensory overload needs looking out for...when I’m working from home I may step a tea way too long as I’m distracted with an email or something.
Teachronicles

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:24 pm

Baisao wrote:
My tearoom overlooks a nature preserve so I observe wildlife and the seasons while drinking tea and listening to the hifi. There’s a small creek about 100 feet below, deep in the valley that I can hear flowing. The clouds and light are magnificent. I can’t imagine doing anything better while having tea.
This sounds wonderful. This weekend I'm at a house more in nature compared to my home in the city, and tea just seems to taste better and be more fragrant. I suspect it has to do with my mental state being more at ease, though I'm using different wAter so that may be a factor as well.
Brent D

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:14 pm

Shine Magical wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:53 pm
Very often I play video games while gong fuing.
I play banjo. I find tea doesn't effect my playing like the moonshine does :lol:

Shine, I also game. What type of games do you play?
cherrybomb7

Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:05 pm

Baisao wrote:
Are you kidding?! :mrgreen: This sounds amazing. The most ideal way to drink tea, definitely. Only thing slightly better is having a gathering of good friends there, interested in tea.
Baisao

Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:34 pm

Teachronicles wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:24 pm
Baisao wrote:
This sounds wonderful. This weekend I'm at a house more in nature compared to my home in the city, and tea just seems to taste better and be more fragrant. I suspect it has to do with my mental state being more at ease, though I'm using different wAter so that may be a factor as well.
I definitely think it makes a difference. My mind becomes more still and I can more easily focus on tea amd music. My tearoom is cluttered but the view is nice.

Photos don’t do it justice. The valley below seems compressed or even nonexistent in photos. I can watch storms, migrations or birds or butterflies, watch the last bit of sunlight each sunny day cut across the treetops, or watch fog climb up the valley. I am sure there are better views in town but this is almost ideal for me.
3B4CFB50-C497-4FD4-8CFE-EAE43A9FBF6A.jpeg
3B4CFB50-C497-4FD4-8CFE-EAE43A9FBF6A.jpeg (249.01 KiB) Viewed 6466 times
A0257DF4-EE3D-4682-AA37-FCE7A8D522D9.jpeg
A0257DF4-EE3D-4682-AA37-FCE7A8D522D9.jpeg (144.48 KiB) Viewed 6466 times
Baisao

Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:37 pm

cherrybomb7 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:05 pm
Are you kidding?! :mrgreen: This sounds amazing. The most ideal way to drink tea, definitely. Only thing slightly better is having a gathering of good friends there, interested in tea.
I agree! I only wish the outside temperature was more frequently comfortable so I could host gatherings outside.