Have you ever intentionally decreased the temperature in the middle of a session?

d.manuk

Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:24 pm

When decocting herbs, you usually bring the roots to a boil in water and then simmer for a longer period of time. I was wondering if someone has ever done something similar intentionally with their tea to bring out certain flavors?
debunix

Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:20 pm

Sometimes if I am getting too much astringency or bitterness I might drop temperatures, but other than to correct a fault like that from earlier infusions, 'waking' a green tea with hotter water and then dropping temp and building back up again is probably the only time I plan to start hotter than I continue infusing.
wave_code

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:33 am

I have in the way debunix describes, but not quite so... intentional. more in a oops, this tastes way too astringent sort of way- but I find often if I have used too hot of water then the damage is done and dropping the temp will maybe make following steeps drinkable but nowhere as good as they could be. I tend to avoid delicate greens anyway so it doesn't happen so often.

I do have some black teas that are very good, can give plenty of steeps, but don't take as well as some others to gong-fu flash steepings in the long run. I'll hit them with a quick steep or two of hotter water (90-95c) to get things moving and it seems to help bring out some higher notes, then just let the kettle cool down for a couple minutes and do some longer steeps to bring out some of the deeper/maltier flavors in the 80c range. By the time the kettle is significantly cooled the leaves are starting to give up, so then I'll go up to boiling for one or two long final steeps.