How do you choose what tea to drink?

Noonie

Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:19 am

Some funny and insightful posts here!

Pretty much my only daily routine with tea: Sencha to start the day, in the kitchen when I'm doing some light stretching; unless I'm going for a bike ride, in which case I'll have Matcha.

I always have a high mountain oolong opened, and may have some 2-3 times a week. That's changing very recently though, as I've gotten into Sheng and so I want that as often as I have time for a nice gong-fu session, and I have some Wuyi opened that I drink maybe once a week. At work I have Sencha that I drink most days (around lunch), though I'm also working through a bag of Dan Cong. I recently had Long Jing as my 'other' green opened...for a few weeks. Next green I'll be opening is Gyokuro.

What influences my decisions after my morning Sencha/Matcha, many things: cravings, what I've read about tea online or in a book or heard on a podcast, what is opened that I want to finish so I can open up the next tea that I really want (I only keep so many open at a time), outside temperature and how it's making me feel, food and when I'm drinking tea versus eating, time of day, random thoughts. Towards the end of this morning's bike ride (after a Matcha), I was smelling the Sheng I had last night. I'm new to Sheng as mentioned so maybe it's just me, but I feel connected to the outdoors when I have it, and often think I smell it when enjoying nature (close to trees, long grasses and woods in general). And above all of this...things go in waves for me (and each wave is a different length of time).
carogust

Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:59 am

I have a really hard time deciding sometimes. Unless I don't have a craving for something, even a really subtle one, I generally go for yancha as in my experience it's the "softest" in the body. No fussy bodily reactions from them.
I try to consume the teas that I find special or the best only when I am 100% in the mood and mental state to enjoy them. Other than that I don't try to make my supply of them last.
As tea is perishable, and most of the time doesn't age into something better (or it goes through a "dumb"/flat phase) I try to drink my favorites tea as often as I can.
Baisao

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:34 am

pedant wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:18 pm
what to drink?

haven't had yancha or dancong today

pangs of guilt from opened green teas wasting away

i reach for the sencha knowing it won't last

old faithful puerh's not going anywhere fast
This. Every day, just this.