Water Water Everywhere... What’s Your Water?

Baisao

Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:57 pm

pedant wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:42 am
Bok wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:05 pm
Speaking of... it is also that people do go up in arms over the tiniest threat to their perceived right to bear dangerous firearms, but do not care enough for the water that keeps them alive.
entering political territory...
I can’t imagine a more political subject than access to high quality water. It’s the most fundamental need after the right to life itself.

How many wars have been fought over water access? How many people have been oppressed via water controls? Is the water problem in Flint, Michigan not political?

I have had significantly disruptive water problems twice recently because of political mismanagement of our resources and infrastructure. That’s three weeks without drinkable water because of politics.

Entering political territory? I assert that all access to resources involves politics.

I’m a little touchy when someone tries to lay guilt on me for drinking bottled water. I live in the richest nation in world history and yet I have to drink bottled water because our tap water is disgusting.
pedant
Admin

Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:21 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:05 pm
...go up in arms over the tiniest threat to their perceived right to bear dangerous firearms...
i was referring to the part about guns. imo, the above clause is off topic, inflammatory, and full of charged qualifiers. again, this is a focused interest group for tea discussion.

if you think i'm being unreasonable, pm me at your leisure.
Baisao wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:57 pm
I’m a little touchy when someone tries to lay guilt on me for drinking bottled water.
is that someone me? i assure you that i'm not doing that. sorry for any misunderstanding.
Baisao

Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:51 pm

@pedant, it’s not you. And it’s not really Bok either though he brought it up.

Bottled water is a common complaint that seems reasonable at first glance. But it becomes emblematic of a lot of problems as we dig deeper into the issue: environmental damage is traded for access to clean resources that are our right; and this is happening because large corporations are exploiting us with the tacit assistance of our governments.

No one should have to drink radioactive fish tank water. Or water with lead in it. And this is happening here in the US because of corrupt leadership. I’m sure it is happening elsewhere in the world.
pedant
Admin

Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:32 pm

the planet is wasted on us. :oops: :cry:
Bok
Vendor

Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:15 pm

pedant wrote:
Yep.

And apologies for entering politics, we’ve continued the hotter part of the topic off site…
Baisao

Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:26 pm

Bok wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:15 pm
pedant wrote:
Yep.

And apologies for entering politics, we’ve continued the hotter part of the topic off site…
Yeah, we had a great chat. Bok even invited me to the island for a hunt. Something about “the most dangerous game”. Whatever it is, it sounds fun!
Last edited by Baisao on Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:53 pm

Bok is a very nice man; however, he does practice a martial art. It might involve weapons. :)
Bok
Vendor

Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:59 pm

:mrgreen:
theredbaron

Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:13 am

Not going through the entire discussion....
Here in Munich, Germany, we have great tap water for drinking, right from the alps. But is kills tea. It's very hard, comes, i believe, from the lime stone in its origin.
I found a very nice bottled water from a few hundred kilometers away, from the Black Forest, also named "Black Forest". It's a compromise between having to use bottled water and staying somewhat local. And it's available from my local supermarket.
For anything else than tea i only use tap water.

When i lived in Bangkok, there was no option. Tap water was extremely unhealthy, and filtered water was, well, drinkable. There was just no option than using imported bottled water for tea.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:15 am

theredbaron wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:13 am
Here in Munich, Germany, we have great tap water for drinking,.

When i lived in Bangkok, there was no option. Tap water was extremely unhealthy, and filtered water was, well, drinkable. There was just no option than using imported bottled water for tea.
and Munich has wonderful bakeries. Terrific breads!

What does a bottle of Gerlsteiner water cost there? Delicious bubbly water & good for an upset stomach. (Bicarbonate of soda is added. Here it is more than $2 a bottle. I don't buy it. Because of principles or not enough $?.....)

For tea, I think Thailand has 2 or 3 of its own spring water brands that are okay. Glad to read posts from you again.
theredbaron

Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:28 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:15 am
and Munich has wonderful bakeries. Terrific breads!

What does a bottle of Gerlsteiner water cost there? Delicious bubbly water & good for an upset stomach. (Bicarbonate of soda is added. Here it is more than $2 a bottle. I don't buy it. Because of principles or not enough $?.....)

For tea, I think Thailand has 2 or 3 of its own spring water brands that are okay. Glad to read posts from you again.
Yes, breads here are superb, i get mine at a weekly market from an upcountry old style bakery :)
We have lots of different bubbly bottled water (good for deep and heartfelt burps ;) ), i think Gerolsteiner is around 1$ or so per large bottle. The German brands are all cheap.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:18 pm

Another article to consider for those who have a choice (environmental-impact-of-bottled-water-up-to-3500-times-greater-than-tap-water) :
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -tap-water
wave_code

Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:42 pm

I'm moving to Berlin and picked up the keys to my apartment last week. I noticed the shower head looked pretty calcified which didn't bode well. I'm used to much softer water which made the tap water have a very 'old' sort of taste to it. I can get used to it fine for drinking, probably better for getting rehydrated in summer heat, but it not looking so good for tea, or for my plants. I really want to avoid buying even local re-usable bottled water as much as possible, save that for special occasion convenience. I usually keep water in my fridge on activated charcoal for 24 hours before use but I don't think that alone is going to cut it anymore. Any recommendations EU available filters- tap or otherwise? From what I can gather a Brita won't even remove that much, or maybe I have to double filter it?
Bok
Vendor

Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:06 pm

wave_code wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:42 pm
I'm moving to Berlin and picked up the keys to my apartment last week. I noticed the shower head looked pretty calcified which didn't bode well. I'm used to much softer water which made the tap water have a very 'old' sort of taste to it. I can get used to it fine for drinking, probably better for getting rehydrated in summer heat, but it not looking so good for tea, or for my plants. I really want to avoid buying even local re-usable bottled water as much as possible, save that for special occasion convenience. I usually keep water in my fridge on activated charcoal for 24 hours before use but I don't think that alone is going to cut it anymore. Any recommendations EU available filters- tap or otherwise? From what I can gather a Brita won't even remove that much, or maybe I have to double filter it?
I heard good things of this one: https://www.carbonit.com/wasserfilter/s ... ischfilter
Psyck

Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:58 am

Carbon It is nothing but a bit of activated carbon, so of no use for the specified goal of reducing mineral content. In fact it will actually result in a tad increase of TDS.
https://www.carbonit.com/images/stories ... 210428.pdf