Water Water Everywhere... What’s Your Water?

d.manuk

Sun May 28, 2023 1:56 pm

I tried the same water with 2023 Shan Lin Xi and the mouthfeel was thick as it should be, so the thin mouthfeel was due to trying a new Taiwanese black tea.

Anyway, will keep experimenting
Teafortea

Tue May 30, 2023 8:09 am

The water from the tap here in France is pretty clean but has too much calcium so we just filter that for the whole house so our household items work properly. For tea I use a mountain spring water Mont dore. There has been time when I've used other water and tea has been flat. Mont d'or makes my tea taste magic 😊. Attaching a picture of compos. I wonder why it makes tea taste good? When in the alps the water from the tap is the best of best. In US i had well water and it was pretty much OK. I did buy volvic time after time just for some certain teas. Reverse osmosis tea was not my favorite but my taste has changed also.
Attachments
Mont dore
Mont dore
Screenshot_20230530-150821_Gallery.jpg (361 KiB) Viewed 2767 times
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Tue May 30, 2023 9:33 am

d.manuk wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 1:56 pm
I tried the same water with 2023 Shan Lin Xi and the mouthfeel was thick as it should be, so the thin mouthfeel was due to trying a new Taiwanese black tea.

Anyway, will keep experimenting
Yes, one should ask why what is in the cup is not as good as expected. The answer is not always simple unfortunately.

For example, I have been satisfied w/ how I filter tap water. Use of filters made of sterasyl ceramic that has some carbon inside (now Acquasera seems to be the only available brand) has done the job for years (2 for 5 - 6 liter of water in a Big Berkey). However, once the outside of the filters gets coated; they need to be scrubbed clean. Once the inside is holding too many captured contaminants & minerals; the filters need to be replaced. Although I know this, I have often gone a few weeks getting down that I don't enjoy things as I used to do (soup, tea, water, etc.) before I remember to check my filters....

Revrese osmosis which is really just a filtering process w/ a better sounding name (IMHO) probably is a similar situation, even on a huge scale (government systems w/ giant membranes cleaning water). I wonder what percentage of the time that they are used, that equpment, filters, (so to speak, my word "filters") are new or freshly cleaned & what percentage of time cleaning or replacement is overdue (regarding taste, not health)?

The taste of water from wells & springs can vary by the time of year.
afishhunter

Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:17 pm

Tap water from a well on the property.
I do not know how deep they had to drill to hit water.
teacreacha7

Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:03 pm

Hot take: I have terrible local tap water, so I remineralize RO water. There is a company called Tea Curious that sells packets of minerals meant for tea drinking, and so far I have had plesant experiences. I like that I can manually adjust the hardness/alkalinity of the water, so if the tea starts becoming too bitter I know to dial it back a bit. Plus, I'm not going through a bunch of plastic water bottles!
Victoria
Admin

Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:10 am

teacreacha7 wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:03 pm
Hot take: I have terrible local tap water, so I remineralize RO water. There is a company called Tea Curious that sells packets of minerals meant for tea drinking, and so far I have had plesant experiences. I like that I can manually adjust the hardness/alkalinity of the water, so if the tea starts becoming too bitter I know to dial it back a bit. Plus, I'm not going through a bunch of plastic water bottles!
Curious if @teasecret starts with Reverse Osmosis water to then re-mineralize? Don’t see that mentioned on web site. Also, earlier in this thread they mention sometimes using “ Waterdrop filter is my go-to because it does NOT lower TDS” interesting idea.
Baisao

Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:44 pm

IMG_7297.jpeg
IMG_7297.jpeg (320.3 KiB) Viewed 2316 times

Capitalism creates innovation! The innovation: https://apnews.com/article/pfas-forever ... eea39c778a