peeling my filters

Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:20 am

I use a British Berkefeld (also known as Big Berkey) water filter. I use two off-white ceramic cylinders which are cheaper than the black ones. Over time the cylinders darken; & most importantly water takes longer to empty from the top into the bottom & more of the water stays in the top. 2 or 3 times a year, I have scrubbed the cylinders with a new Scotch-brite scratchy pad returning the effectiveness of the cylinders closer to how they worked when new. After more than 2 years, the scrubbing became less effective. Then, I read about using a potato peeler.

To do this is amusing. I think of filters as holders of components, such as carbon blocks, etc. Instead the cylinder seems like plaster.

Anyway, the filters are working like new ones. Not needing to buy new ones saves me about $100 & worrying about whether I should upgrade to remove 100% of chlorine (instead of 90%), floride, & lead.
OldWaysTea
Vendor

Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:01 pm

Interesting result. My aunt uses a Berkey filter. I'll see if she has heard of using a peeler when they are too clogged for a scotch brite.
.m.

Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:46 pm

I have a similar experience. They can build up a thin layer of a hard scale on the outside that will clog them. I used a sharp knife in the past to carefully peel off this thin layer which worked great, but i wasnt very happy about removing material from the filter. Next time i might just soak it in vinegar.
Btw. this works on the white ceramic (sterasyl) filters, it wouldnt work on the black berkeys which are a very different material.
(*i tend to prefer the super sterasyl over the black berkey)