How does it taste? 4 people, 5 opinions

Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:23 pm

Had another tea session at Tea-Village in Pattaya, Thailand. Vee prepared his best teas & convinced my girlfriend, Nit, to try them. Thus, with Lita & myself, we had four tasters. Nit did not like any (not a surprise) but the length of time that she slurped the liquid in her mouth & the fact that she drank all in her cup, showed how interesting the teas were.

Most interesting is that as Vee played with preparation, I always had a second opinion (or "impression" or "reaction) to the teas (while my friends did not).

Tea-Village does offer rarely nuanced teas! Their pu-erh inside the skin of an orange seemed like Lapsang Souchong to me for most its infusions, only giving me orange peel a couple of times, while Vee always tasted it, & Lita had a completely different flavor.......

Their Dan Cong & Dao Hong Pao (Big Red Robe) also got two varied experiences going in my mouth (from different infusions) & were experienced much differently by my friends. (These teas are a bit expensive but recommended by me for afficionadoes of these types of tea.)

Recommended for all is the Dark oolong, a Thai Assam that at low temperature, quick steeping is tart & light-bodied & at high-temperature, long steeping gets thick without tartness while still easy to drink in quantity. (This tea is quite affordable.)

Shop will close after December 31st but they expect to continue to sell on-line. I'll miss sitting in the Louis XIVth chairs in their tearoom. (So, I am sure extended stays in Pattaya will no longer be part of my life.)
Baisao

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:23 pm

More importantly: how long will this relationship last if Nit doesn’t like tea? :D
Bok
Vendor

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:26 am

What is the conclusion? – that other people's opinion or experience with a tea (or any consumable thing) mostly do not matter, as it is impossible to know if they perceive it the same way we would.

Unless we have established a past history of commonly enjoyed things with that particular person.

As always, the (personal)truth is in the cup and our own perception of it.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:53 pm

Baisao wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:23 pm
More importantly: how long will this relationship last if Nit doesn’t like tea? :D
I have been with Nit for 18 years; 14 1/2 quite closely although now I am in the USA without her far more than I am in Thailand with her. (Restricted by budget, rules about how long .......I am a senior citizen living in subsidized housing, that is, not paying full rent. She was blinded by a brain tumor & hurt otherwise--I don't think I could take care of her in the USA year-round.)

For things like food & drink, most important is that we enjoy durian together. Cheers
Baisao

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:46 pm

You’re sweet, Ethan. I wish our countries were more understanding about situations like yours. The globe is open and inviting if you’re a corporation, not so much if you are a couple. Cheers to you and Nit! I hope you can find a way to spend more time together.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:56 am

Baisao wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:46 pm
You’re sweet, Ethan. I wish our countries were more understanding about situations like yours. The globe is open and inviting if you’re a corporation, not so much if you are a couple. Cheers to you and Nit! I hope you can find a way to spend more time together.
I am going to Thailand late November this year. My bad memory (forgetting what I paid for things) & missing Nid & Vee & Lita allowed me to sell urns & figures for rather low prices. (I have lots of stuff in bins to decorate my little abode.) As I was looking for boxes & padding to rap them to bring them to the buyer, I found a bag of jade rings & bracelets that had fallen to the bottom of a box which I also sold. Thus, I was halfway to airfare; so, I bought a ticket w/ my credit card. When I get paid for medical study work, I should be okay paying the rest owed on the ticket.

Anyway, as to posting on my own thread about the topic, in recent heat wave, I have been drinking the dark oolong from Tea-Village iced sometimes. Led me to think about using low quality unroasted oolong from China iced. It does not taste good but somehow seems to quench thirst very well. My sister added sugar & lemon to hers & loves it that way. Different opinions & different ways & different uses. Cheers
Bok
Vendor

Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:13 am

That is my preferential treatment for gifted, but unwanted, or lower quality tea - ice tea! I’ve found it to often turn in rather pleasant thirst quenchers.