A Time for "Bad" Tea?

Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:14 am

"Life is too short to drink bad tea," is often quoted. However, I have found a time for "bad" tea. I ease into days by drinking water upon waking and then later making one of my worst teas. I usually can finish a cup enjoyably that is prepared to be light: quick steeping at relatively low temperature, seems to keep the worst characteristics at bay and allows some good flavor to please me.

On days when I cannot enjoy the brew, I toss it. Most days bad tea is a good start which seems to enhance appreciation of better tea. (Of course, if I run out of bad tea, I won't seek more but expect somehow will always have some.)
Brent D

Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:22 am

I have a box of tea that doesnt thrill me. I use this when im drinking like a cow or when im in a hurry. I also make it for my wife as we seem to have opposing tastes :lol:
I once read a story of a person being taught about tea by a tea master. The tea master would only allow him to drink the lowest grades of tea until he found characteristics in each material he enjoyed. I like to practice this procedure with teas I dont enjoy as much.
Bok
Vendor

Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:51 pm

There is a difference between bad tea and your worst tea. My worst tea is not necessarily a bad tea. Just less than my best. I would not drink bad tea, but I will sometimes opt for a less good tea.
Janice

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:53 am

I love Karigane, with my favorites coming from O-Cha. I have several disappointing Karigane from other sources that I’m going to try to rescue when I unpack my Horoku. It’s a special ceramic pot for roasting Tea on the stove top. Maybe roasting will turn these teas in houji-cha that will be good for one steep.
joelbct

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:53 am

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:14 am
(Of course, if I run out of bad tea, I won't seek more but expect somehow will always have some.
I don't drink bad tea purposefully, but encountering one is a good way to recalibrate and renew appreciation for one's stockpile. Last night I tossed a cup of a citrus earl grey, a free sample I finally opened mostly out of stubbornness, since I rarely drink flavored tea. It was especially dull and made me realize how most of my even middling tea is quite drinkable.

I started tracking my spending in a spreadsheet, to keep things under control. My 2017 total came to $1786.84 on 10kg of tea, from 16 mostly new-to-me vendors. 15% I won't drink or have already gifted, and 3kg of what's left I'll drink.

As a result of this year's 'continuing education' tuition splurge, my 2018 budget should be more like <$800, the 'drinkable' avg should go from 85% to >95%, and the bad tea rate should approach zero ;)
Victoria
Admin

Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:42 pm

joelbct wrote:
As a result of this year's 'continuing education' tuition splurge, my 2018 budget should be more like <$800, the 'drinkable' avg should go from 85% to >95%, and the bad tea rate should approach zero.
Ha is that assuming you will not explore any new teas in 2018 :? Something most of us here enjoy doing. The ongoing prowl for new delectable delights to our senses.
d.manuk

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:00 pm

I bring all of my bad teas to work so that I can double the torture. :twisted:
joelbct

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:10 am

Victoria wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:42 pm
joelbct wrote:
As a result of this year's 'continuing education' tuition splurge, my 2018 budget should be more like <$800, the 'drinkable' avg should go from 85% to >95%, and the bad tea rate should approach zero.
Ha is that assuming you will not explore any new teas in 2018 :? Something most of us here enjoy doing. The ongoing prowl for new delectable delights to our senses.
Haha, don't go throwing a wrench in the narrative I've built to justify last year's tea budget ;)
MmBuddha

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:26 am

It’s strange, but my appreciation of good tea hasn’t diminished my enjoyment of bad tea at all. I certainly drink less of it now, but they seem to exist within separate planes in my head. Not to come over all Zen, but we have an inclination to make hierarchies and turn everything into a zero sum game, when really it’s easy enough to enjoy most things on their own terms, at least I’ve been finding that lately.

Call me a philistine but I’ll tell you, there’s a time and a place for a cup of PG Tips or Twinings Earl Grey with milk. It’s more or less the taste of my childhood.