What packaging is best for packing tea?

pedant
Admin

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:25 am

haven't seen studies comparing the two, but this is why i think O2 scavengers are better...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_scavenger#Mechanism wrote:Absorber technology of this type may reduce the oxygen level in the surrounding atmosphere to below 0.01%.
they remove virtually all O2.

you can't pull a super hard vacuum when packaging tea. even with ball-rolled teas, there is still some air left in the bag because of void space between the balls on the interior. it works best on something like an individually sealed meat stick snack or strip of jerky where the packaging can make full contact with the contents (no free interior volume).
the thing that's nice about vacuum sealing though is it's visually obvious when the bag is damaged.
chofmann
Vendor

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:35 am

pedant wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:25 am
haven't seen studies comparing the two, but this is why i think O2 scavengers are better...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_scavenger#Mechanism wrote:Absorber technology of this type may reduce the oxygen level in the surrounding atmosphere to below 0.01%.
they remove virtually all O2.

you can't pull a super hard vacuum when packaging tea. even with ball-rolled teas, there is still some air left in the bag because of void space between the balls on the interior. it works best on something like an individually sealed meat stick snack or strip of jerky where the packaging can make full contact with the contents (no free interior volume).
the thing that's nice about vacuum sealing though is it's visually obvious when the bag is damaged.
Oxygen absorbers it is then! They of course have the added bonus that they continue working post-resealing, whereas vacuum sealing obviously doesn't.
Baisao

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:15 am

I have an impulse sealer and also a vacuum sealer. They are reasonably priced and work well. The vacuum sealer easily paid for itself.

The downside to an impulse sealer is that I can’t do a proper nitrogen flush with one, or not one that I trust. That’s why I prefer mylar bags with a zip closure for strip-shaped teas. I can easily give it a nitrogen flush, zip, and be back in business.

I’ve seen some vendors with good products package their teas in bags that have a clear window. I don’t think this is a terribly great idea. I immediately took the bags and stored them in a dark cabinet.

Brewing parameters on bags are next to worthless. I’ve only encountered one seller, Thes du Japon, who has reliable parameters on his bags. Those parameters even vary by specific tea. It’s remarkable that he is able to get such highly customized packaging.

Fancy packaging (elaborate printing, logos, boxes, and inserts) aren’t terribly appreciated. These packaging types can be inconvenient with lots of things to throw away and they generally make me feel like I’m paying for something I don’t want (fancy packaging). Foremost in importance is packaging that protects the product from supplier to the last gram.
Ragamuffin
Artisan

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:11 am

While I understand that vacuum sealing is the best way to preserve freshness in the greener oolongs, I REALLY like having a resealable pouch for the tea once it's open. For teas other than green oolongs I definitely prefer a resealable pouch.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:22 am

Ragamuffin wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:11 am
While I understand that vacuum sealing is the best way to preserve freshness in the greener oolongs, I REALLY like having a resealable pouch for the tea once it's open. For teas other than green oolongs I definitely prefer a resealable pouch.
For those I have a wide array of nice to look at jars in various sizes and materials. They even tend to better some of my teas! I have noticed very favorable effects on high roasted Tieguanyin in rough clay jars, only sealed with a sheet of calligraphy paper in between the lid. Teas that were not very interesting fresh our of the bag turned into something rather nice in a matter of weeks! Humid Asian climate.

For short periods, I even put some greener Oolong in porcelain jars with good results. Not longer than a few days though!