How is this season looking?

Brent D

Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:52 pm

My reserves are getting low. I should have enough to make it.
With the spring season right around the corner, is it too early to begin speculating on how this seasons new offerings should look? Any word from those in the know?
Bok
Vendor

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:05 pm

Brent D wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:52 pm
My reserves are getting low. I should have enough to make it.
With the spring season right around the corner, is it too early to begin speculating on how this seasons new offerings should look? Any word from those in the know?
Depends on the tea, no?
Brent D

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:50 pm

I’ve often heard things like “this season was cold” or “this season was dry” or perhaps this particular area is looking really good this year.
Victoria
Admin

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:12 pm

Would depend on where in the world... also
Brent D

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:22 pm

Victoria wrote:
Well, where in the world are the “spring seasons” right around the corner?
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:15 pm

Brent D wrote:
Victoria wrote:
For Taiwan, the high-mountain Spring tea will start being sold in May. I don't know how one could predict how a tea or tea in general will come out. Too many variables.
I've found buying Winter tea in this period between seasons to be a time of opportunity, if one is very careful etc. Not everything is available, of course; and, green or lightly oxidized teas will not have desirable fresh character if it has not been stored perfectly (and it often is not); BUT, it is a time when one gets people to share time, knowledge, and excellent teas that were hidden away for various reasons.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:05 am

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Brent D wrote:
Victoria wrote:
For Taiwan, the high-mountain Spring tea will start being sold in May. I don't know how one could predict how a tea or tea in general will come out. Too many variables.
I've found buying Winter tea in this period between seasons to be a time of opportunity, if one is very careful etc. Not everything is available, of course; and, green or lightly oxidized teas will not have desirable fresh character if it has not been stored perfectly (and it often is not); BUT, it is a time when one gets people to share time, knowledge, and excellent teas that were hidden away for various reasons.
I always prefer Winter to Spring harvest for Taiwanese teas.
tealifehk
Vendor

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:58 am

Bok wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:05 am
Ethan Kurland wrote:
Brent D wrote:

I always prefer Winter to Spring harvest for Taiwanese teas.
I have heard Taiwanese vendors say this, and wondered if it was just a way to move autumn tea :D
Bok
Vendor

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:33 am

tealifehk wrote:
I have heard Taiwanese vendors say this, and wondered if it was just a way to move autumn tea :D
Commonly what is referred to as Winter harvest lasts from Oct to December. The throatfeel and aftertaste ist stronger and longer lasting. More body as well. Spring is aromatics, but let’s say - more superficial ;)

Autumn tea is not really a thing, never heard it mention, maybe more for teas where it matters little like black teas or heavily roasted teas.

As always, the truth is in the cup, and most seasons I skip spring and buy more Winter to last me for the year! For my taste it is so much better.
Tillerman
Vendor

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:55 pm

tealifehk wrote:
I generally prefer the winter tea as well. There is a trade off of aromatics for mouth feel of course but this often is worth it.
d.manuk

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:10 pm

I’ve only seen Shan Lin Xi being sold as winter picked, what other types of Taiwanese oolongs can you find as winter harvest?
ShuShu

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:57 pm

Shine Magical wrote:
I’ve only seen Shan Lin Xi being sold as winter picked, what other types of Taiwanese oolongs can you find as winter harvest?
Many of them. Last year I went to a comparison session in which we drank winter and spring Lishan and Dong Ding
Bok
Vendor

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:06 pm

Shine Magical wrote:
Basically all of them except baozhong and Oriental beauty. OB is a summer tea. Most reds are made in summer too as the processing allows to make tea from otherwise unusable material.
tealifehk
Vendor

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:20 pm

Bok wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:33 am
tealifehk wrote:
Commonly what is referred to as Winter harvest lasts from Oct to December. The throatfeel and aftertaste ist stronger and longer lasting. More body as well. Spring is aromatics, but let’s say - more superficial ;)

Autumn tea is not really a thing, never heard it mention, maybe more for teas where it matters little like black teas or heavily roasted teas.

As always, the truth is in the cup, and most seasons I skip spring and buy more Winter to last me for the year! For my taste it is so much better.
I just really enjoy the aromatics and energy of spring tea over autumn tea. IMO the complexity is far more to my taste, and what distinguish Taiwanese-style tea from Mainland teas. Just personal preference I guess! The autumn thing is British English for fall, so Oct-December basically! :) I know 'winter' is the term more often used in TW.
Tillerman
Vendor

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:12 pm

Shine Magical wrote:
Virtually every Taiwanese tea is sold as a winter harvest as well as a spring one. I carry several on my site.