How Much Tea Do You Consume Per Day?

Craig

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:26 pm

I'm new to tea but over the past several weeks I've gotten into a routine of enjoying three tea sessions on most days. I'm brewing in a gawain and steeping many times each session. I tend to use 5 to 6 grams of tea per session so I'm going through about 15-18 grams of tea each day. How much tea do you use each day? I'm curious to see where I land on the tea addiction consumption scale. :)
settingsunteahut
New user

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:47 pm

Usually two teas per day for me. Unless I'm teaching a class or am serving at a market.
CWarren

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:13 pm

I used to enjoy two to three tea sessions a day but now I enjoy just one. Depending on the tea around 6-12g and probably 12-20 infusions with my 1.5l tetsubin at the ready and 100ml gaiwan. I don’t force a session for the sake of having tea either. If it happens it happens but it has to come naturally so I can enjoy the relaxing nature of it.
OldWaysTea
Vendor

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:38 pm

CWarren wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:13 pm
If it happens it happens but it has to come naturally so I can enjoy the relaxing nature of it.
A good sentiment.

Many days I'll have a 5-8g session during my work day. I'll start if I have a lull to get the first few infusions peacefully. If there is no time to enjoy it I'll pass, sometimes grab a cheap green tea bag to have something hot at a meeting.

Most evenings I'll have a yancha session with my wife, after a walk after dinner. It is a nice time to relax and enjoy a new tea or enjoy a long time favorite. Often we read or study some after the session gets started.
Nis

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:09 am

At least 3g, but usually more like 10-15g. That's 3g of green tea (or whatever) western-style in the morning and then one or two "sessions" throughout the day.
It obviously depends on how much time I have and the tea.
Bok
Vendor

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:56 am

One good gong fu session per day during weekdays, weekend might be to rounds of tea in one session. Sometimes a larger pot of cheaper everyday tea at work.

But I would rather skip a session if the conditions are not right, that have one at all cost. Good tea demands attention. And I mostly opt for coffee instead of a mediocre tea.
chofmann
Vendor

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:19 am

Typical week for me:

Grandpa brew 4 days a week my day job, taking one day off for just water. ~4g*4 = 16g.
Evening session 3 evenings during the weekdays, + 2 more on weekends. ~5g*5 = 25g.
Various tea samplings interspersed throughout unpredictably.... ~30g

so about 41g per week or ~6g per day for normal tea consumption + another 4g per day for sampling consumption.

6g-10g per day depending on how you want to think about it. Sampling isn't quite the same as normal tea drinking, so I wanted to break it out.
Chingwa

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:45 am

You guys are addicted. :lol:

After reading the above I feel much better about my chronic tea habit. I only make 1 infusion of green tea in the morning (about 4 grams) and then make 4-5 steepings of that throughout the day, usually stopping around 5 or pm. Even at this light weight level, if I skip a day or two I will get caffeine withdrawal headaches. must. maintain.
debunix

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:46 am

It's quite variable, but on most days I brew up at least 3 teas, and I'm not quite as much of a leaf-lightweight as I used to be--today my morning gyokuro, brewed up in Petr's kyusu, was 5 grams, and just for curiosity I weighed out teas for tomorrow's thermos sessions (after morning tea, that's usually a day's worth of tea), and it came to 3.8g of puerh and 2.4 grams of Ti Kuan Yin. So I'm up to maybe 10-12 grams of tea a day.
Victoria
Admin

Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:49 pm

I typically have two teas per day, plus overnight steep from the day before. Roasted oolong in the morning while I work 12gr, or sencha 6-8gr. Later in the day, if I find time to focus, I steep higher quality teas in smaller gong fu portions; for oolongs 6gr, gyokuro or sencha 5-10gr depending on source. So depending on tea I’ll have 12-18gr per day, not including previous days overnight steep. Sometimes I give the overnight steep to my plants. If I don’t have time to really sit down and enjoy tea I’ll just skip it and go without.
_Soggy_

Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:56 pm

Very little. I drink tea maybe 1-2 times during the work week in the morning if I have time. I generally do 2-4 sessions per day on the weekend depending what is going on. Tea time is generally a time to relax so if I don't have the time I won't force it. I very occasionally will have some tea at work, but generally something very cheap/easy to brew.
Craig

Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:39 am

Victoria wrote:
I typically have two teas per day, plus overnight steep from the day before. Roasted oolong in the morning while I work 12gr, or sencha 6-8gr. Later in the day, if I find time to focus, I steep higher quality teas in smaller gong fu portions; for oolongs 6gr, gyokuro or sencha 5-10gr depending on source. So depending on tea I’ll have 12-18gr per day, not including previous days overnight steep. Sometimes I give the overnight steep to my plants. If I don’t have time to really sit down and enjoy tea I’ll just skip it and go without.
Hi Victoria, I have a couple of questions about your overnight steep. That's new to me. Are you steeping in a gaiwan? Does steeping overnight work for any teas or only certain kinds? And finally, what does the tea do for plants? Thanks!
Psyck

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:15 am

I suppose tea does for plants something similar to what vegetable and plant compost does - provide them with nutrients. I collect tea rinses to add to my watering jug on occasion.

I suppose most types of teas can be cold steeped overnight in the fridge, I've little experience with it though.
Victoria
Admin

Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:29 pm

Craig wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:39 am
Victoria wrote:
Hi Victoria, I have a couple of questions about your overnight steep. That's new to me. Are you steeping in a gaiwan? Does steeping overnight work for any teas or only certain kinds? And finally, what does the tea do for plants? Thanks!
Hi, I am steeping overnight in the same pot I used during the day; could be Hojuko stoneware used for my roasted oolongs, or yixing used for other oolong, or puerh. These stay on the counter overnight, and after removing liquor I fill pot with boiling water, dry with a soft cloth, and sit by a sunny window to dry. With sencha and gyokuro, which have more active enzymes so degrade faster, I transfer to a lidded glass cup and place in refridgerator. I share all my spent tea leaves with my outdoor plants, beautiful leaves full of nutrients, same goes for the morning after infusion if I haven’t enjoyed it. Here in Southern California we are still in a drought so every bit of extra water I give to the plants.
thetealetter

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:50 pm

One gongfu session with one tea or 1-2 cups of green/white brewed Western style most days. I usually brew in 60-80 mL gaiwan or yixing, depending on type of tea, and I like to brew at about 1:15 or 1:20 tea-to-water ratio (g:mL), so I'll do anywhere from 3-4g a day.

I'm sensitive to caffeine so I have to be careful about how I spend my caffeine budget on any given day. :cry:

I've also realized this level of tea consumption means I buy WAY more tea than I can reasonably consume before it starts to lose freshness. Been planning to drink through my current stock and then I'll start spending more money on fewer premium buys rather than letting myself be seduced by the depth and breadth of tea.