Caveat emptor....

NPE

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:51 pm

OK, I know I am new here - but I was not on the old TeaChat forum where I went with the same name.

Normally I am a nice person and it takes a lot to annoy me, but it can be done. As evidenced by my little tale here that I would like to tell.
Long story short: apparently not even reputable sellers of teaware always also deliver service.

Here is my cautionary tale:
I ordered another addition to my, by now, sizeable collection of teawares, mainly consisting of teapots.
I like the xi shi shape like many here and I like jian shui, so I put in an order for a nice red xi shi teapot.

This arrived:

So I complained, saying that I was not charmed at having been charged full price for a teapot that was sloppily made.

The reply was:
"These are hand crafted teawares and will each have variations that make them unique. We create teapots whose primary goal is brewing tea. This teapot will function at that excellently. I am sorry that the shape of the spout is not perfect for you.

If you wished to return it for a refund I would gladly refund your money. Since you would need to ship it to the US I understand that may be too costly. If you would accept a 15% refund I would be happy to offer that. "

In short: not our fault / your issue if you want a teapot that looks like the one on our website. You keep it and get $16.50 back or ship it to the US and get a full refund.

I do not claim that I have only perfect teapots, but I am used to any flaws being pointed out before I buy the teapot so that I can decide whether I want to spend my money on that item.

OK, it was shipping to the US and full refund for me and what do I get now? I sent it today, carefully wrapped and with track and trace and the answer is:
"When the package arrives and the product is inspected we will issue a refund. We appreciate your patience and understanding."

The last part must have been added as an ironic twist...

So it is ok for me to trust and pay up front but when something goes wrong, basically it is my fault and at my own risk. Shuweeet....

What do you guys and gals think about this???
Last edited by pedant on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod edit: fixed image
Victoria
Admin

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:14 pm

Pretty messed up filter and vendor reply, hopefully you get a full refund.
Chadrinkincat

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:57 pm

I'd send it back and not buy another pot from them. It's one thing to buy an older pot with imperfections but new pots shouldn't have issues like this.

Also it's standard practice to wait to give you refund until they receive item.
Ragamuffin
Artisan

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:36 pm

So maybe I'm a bit blind, but I'm not seeing whats wrong with it?

A 15% refund is unacceptable though
OldWaysTea
Vendor

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:53 pm

Ragamuffin wrote:

What catches my attention is that the bottom right of the pot got squished while it was still wet, so it is not round and is a little flat there.
Ragamuffin
Artisan

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:53 pm

OldWaysTea wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:53 pm
Ragamuffin wrote:

What catches my attention is that the bottom right of the pot got squished while it was still wet, so it is not round and is a little flat there.
Ah, now I see it. It wouldn't bother me much, but I can understand someone else not being happy about it.
Atlas

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:15 am

Personally I'd have taken the 15%, but you'd be within your rights to return at their cost provided that there was no indication of the flaw on the listing, imho.

Strictly-speaking, you'd be justified in applying for a chargeback, presuming you paid with a credit card or PayPal, and given the option I suspect they'd prefer to cop the shipping than a CB. It's too late if you've already sent the pot, however.
NPE

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:24 pm

Ragamuffin wrote:

The spout is uneven on the lower right hand side. As OldWaysTea said, someone must have squished it when it was still pliable.

I am just particularly shocked about this because I know the lengths that people like Emmett go to in describing even the slightest flaws in old (like early 80's) teapots.
A new pot with an obvious flaw like this I would expect to be set apart and sold separately to the flawless teapots - with discount and a description of the flaw plus pictures.
The pictures that I have taken do not really show how obvious the 'dent' is. It is the first thing I noticed when I unwrapped the pot.

I guess the vendor reaction was also extra shocking to me because so far I have only been treated very well by vendors - even when they sent perfect wares that got damaged or lost in transit. So to suddenly come across someone who breaks this pattern of excellent customer service only made it all that much more jarring to me.

Keeping my fingers crossed here for a speedy return of the teapot to the vendor and an equally speedy return of my money to me.

Thanks for taking the time to read about my plight and for replying.