The Kombucha Thread

AbdullaTheBoocher
New user

Sat May 13, 2023 3:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for a place where ideas and techniques for making Kombucha are shared. I could not find a topic in this forum, so I decided to create one. If there is already one, please direct me to the topic. I look forward to learning more about Kombucha and Tea in general from this forum.

I currently am working on several batches of Kombucha. The goal for me is to identify parameters that indicate that my Booch is where I want it to be. I’ve been using ph, Brix, and taste testing to see if I can come up with a system. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thank you
Last edited by AbdullaTheBoocher on Sat May 13, 2023 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pedant
Admin

Sat May 13, 2023 5:21 pm

welcome to the forum :)
Victoria
Admin

Sun May 14, 2023 12:25 am

Welcome. I can share with you my kombucha instructionals and articles I’ve posted over the years, but need to switch drives first. Kombucha brewing was my gateway into serious tea exploration. Blogging all over the world with people who had lots of positions regarding which teas where best to use, this lead to some heated exchanges, bruised peacock egos, and also opened up more in-depth conversations regarding science, humanity, organic growth and cultures. Deep stuff. Now fifteen years later, when I restart home brewing I’d like to experiment with a wider variety of teas, back then I mostly used gunpowder green, silver tips white, Darjeeling black. White tea kombucha was my favorite and double fermenting adding fruit based enzymes and local herbs.
AbdullaTheBoocher
New user

Sun May 14, 2023 5:32 pm

Thank you both for the welcome! Victoria, I would be totally interested in reading some of your posts. Especially ones related to determining first fermentation endpoints. Let me know where I could find them.

I’ve been collecting data on my batches, as well as some store bought Kombucha to help figure out when the Kombucha is ready. I’ll be sharing what I find when the batches finish.