What tea strainer do you use?

Nis

Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:09 am

When brewing casually for myself, I don't filter. Doesn't matter which tea it is. When tasting or brewing for others, I might, depending on the kind of tea - it mostly comes down to how broken it is.
Konrud wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:30 am
Doesn't stainless steel affect tea taste?

I was thinking of buying those but was afraid that it might impact the tea taste.
Considering how quickly the tea passes through, I very much doubt you'll be able to taste the difference.
Konrud wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:35 am
As for the quality I order high-quality tea (e.g. Lao Chuan Cha Qun Ti Zhong, Da Ye Zhong, or Jin Jun Mei [which has quite a lot of golden dust]). Hence in my case, it's almost a must.
I'm not sure why you want to remove those hairs. I consider them to be part of the tea, and wouldn't want to filter them out, if possible.
Baisao

Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:59 pm

Nis wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:09 am
When brewing casually for myself, I don't filter. Doesn't matter which tea it is. When tasting or brewing for others, I might, depending on the kind of tea - it mostly comes down to how broken it is.
Konrud wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:30 am
Doesn't stainless steel affect tea taste?

I was thinking of buying those but was afraid that it might impact the tea taste.
Considering how quickly the tea passes through, I very much doubt you'll be able to taste the difference.
I haven’t tested this in a long time but I could tell a difference. It seemed that the greener the tea the more there was a difference. It would be negligible to most people but if you’re exceptionally familiar with a tea then it will stand out as a difference. I wouldn’t even say it was a bad difference, only that there was one.

Tea in contact with porcelain or clay even for seconds can change considerably. We surmise this is a property of surface chemistry. But it does only take seconds and is obvious to even untrained palates.
debunix

Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:05 am

I use stainless steel for those times when there are an unpleasing number of tea fines in the infused tea for whatever reason. It's not every day for every tea. I notice zero impact on the tea flavor.