newbie stuck - what next?

caj

Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:44 am

Hi!

I'm hoping a few of you would have the time and energy to help direct me in the right direction as far as tea, brewing style, and teaware, in that order. Oh joy, another "what should I do" topic! :P The following sort of summarizes my thought process.. note how it is in reverse order :)

Browsing teaware seems like the logical first step to help identify brewing method and therefore teas to rediscover. It's not working because it seems nothing's really appealing to me! Perhaps it's the colors - I seem to be drawn more to the kitschy and contemporary beehouse/forlife items, as much as I want to like that hohin! Gaiwans are an inexpensive entry but they just seem cheap and backwards, and then I'm rather clumsy and see myself spilling hot tea. Or perhaps cleaning a kyusu is going to become annoying? Or the banality and fragility of yixing pots?

The mind wanders, and my focus shifts to brewing methods instead. My first time around with tea was western style-ish: an electric kettle and a mug that came with a small infuser basket and a matching lid that also turned into a drip tray. Though I still have these, I wonder what's missing due to such a small infusion area (not to mention it would be nice to try something new). So enters eastern style brewing, and as the thought develops, I realize styles such as gong fu and gyokuro seem too.. well.. I'm not really interested in making tea a daily ceremony or ritual. Though we can argue that's exactly what I'm doing (20-30 minutes zone out with the flavors (like this or this)), there's a different approach to them which appears to put heavy emphasis on the process and gear. There's "grandpa" brewing of course, but then that might leave out a whole lot of other options.

Inevitably, I realize I should just get some tea, and the rest will follow. That first time round years ago was easy: order the high-reviewed items first off adagio, and let tastes develop from there. This time, it's not so easy. First and foremost, there are so many options. Too many. One way to narrow this down I realize: start with the vendors on this forum, check out their offerings. On the other hand, I'm more well-versed now when it comes to life, internet, and everything - I'm not so easily swayed by others any longer. I do take pride in my health and good lifestyle, so topics on this forum like this one, this one, and especially this one.. make me take a step back. Now I wonder why didn't I care about pesticides during my coffee phase?!

Ultimately I know I'll end up trying a variety of teas, brewing methods, and gear. I've gone through a number of threads on this forum looking for inspiration, there were a couple recent ones that were a fun read like this one, this one and this one. I'm in a fortunate position where I feel I can start with quality and don't need to work my way up - it might take a few tries to acclimate my pallet and tastes.

So.. based on this, what next? :D
Last edited by caj on Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
polezaivsani

Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:12 pm

I'd say keep going, quick check your water and start sampling tea from some nice vendors (what x you're drinking topics would have plenty tips).

If the infusion basket you have is too small (say less than a third of a cup) get a bigger one if that's your thing. I'd say basic porcelain gaiwan to be a fantastic device, but coming to tools the amount of option proliferate quickly. Get any basic device (glass or porcelain is probably the safest bet), don't spend much time here just yet. I'd assume all this is covered in fine detail in the topics you mentioned.

Good luck, have fun, and don't forget to share you blund... i meant anecdotes with us ;).
Andrew S

Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:22 pm

I agree with @polezaivsani: try some teas, see what you like, have fun. People's posts here are a good place to start, so long as you never assume that anyone's opinions are anything other than just that; their own opinions.

Teaware is a dangerous distraction. There are very few cases where the type of teaware is essential to enjoying a particular tea.

Trying different teas from different places can help you to find out not only what's good and what's bad, but also what you do or don't enjoy as a matter of preference. Then you can explore what you like in more detail.

Additionally, many good teas will give good results regardless of how they're brewed. I had a very nice Dong Ding which I abused by 'grandpa' brewing it in a big mug at work until late at night for a week or so. That tea performed equally well brewed in a small teapot at home. It would probably have done well in a Western style, or in some other manner of preparation. So, with a few limited exceptions, I think that you can find a tea that you like, and then experiment with how to brew it. Brewing tea at work may limit your options, but it shouldn't really limit the kind of tea that you drink.

Andrew
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:32 pm

Sometimes my mind goes blank when I read threads like this; however, now I have some advice. I think it is good to think about what you like most.

For example, if you like to drink more lightly oxidized tea than dark tea, that is a start. Do you prefer green tea to green oolong which has some of almost totally unoxidized leaves' qualities; or, do you prefer the difference provided by light oxidation? Now you would be identifying what you like, narrowing the range of your favorite cup of tea. Yet, the favored category may not have something you want or does have something you dislike.

You could be in a position to say, I like..... but...... Then someone may have a tea or 2 to suggest. Long after that, how to prepare, teaware, etc. can be considered.

One can return to types of teas that were ruled out. For example, I had difficulty enjoying roasted teas years back. After I had gaoshan & black tea that I loved, I found it easier to tackle roasted teas. I could sort out those I would not like from those I might like. I learned how I should prepare roasted tea for my palate.

Water that does not ruin a session & good leaves = > 90% of happy drinking. Cheers
Last edited by Ethan Kurland on Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baisao

Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:01 am

In line with @Ethan Kurland: what are you looking for from tea? What flavors do you enjoy? What flavors are abhorrent?

We could help steer you towards a style of tea that has the qualities you’re seeking and away from qualities you dislike. From there, the identified teas can lead to the ideal method for extracting the desirable qualities. Maybe a floral or fruity oolong made GFC-style really is what you’ll enjoy. Or maybe it’s a malty Assam in a Brown Betty. The tea decides.

As far as cleaning goes, no properly made teapot is a pain to clean. I use a simple rinse of near boiling water and let them dry.
caj

Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:05 am

Thank you all! I will start with the teas then. I don't know yet what I like and don't like, will need to taste a few before I can start asking.

I am concerned my mug's infuser is a bit small, the black color is not ideal, but I'll manage for now with it and other vessels (e.g. mason jar or glass measuring cup, then pour through a filter). Water will be another variable to work with that I can control a little.

When cleaning my mug for the picture, I was surprised to see it's a Forlife branded mug hah. They've really changed them since 2006!
Attachments
mug with infuser.jpg
mug with infuser.jpg (38.68 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
Baisao

Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:53 am

caj wrote:
Thank you all! I will start with the teas then. I don't know yet what I like and don't like, will need to taste a few before I can start asking.
I've recently started drinking coffees and began by exploring what flavors appeal to me and what propertied do not. For example...

* floral
* berries
* syrupy sweetness
* clean fermentation
* medium acidity
* medium roasts where I taste maillard reactions but not a charcoal flavor
* aftertaste that does not linger

Dislikes:
* weak body
* catty flavors
* burnt rubber flavors
* thin and lacking sweetness
* funky fermentation
* high acidity
* light and dark roasts where it is too tea-like or I taste a charcoal flavor
* aftertaste that lingers all day

This steered me away from some coffees that I assumed I would have liked, like robusta or more elaborate fermentations. I could read descriptions and find properties I like and avoid ones I dislike. Certain terroirs were generally out and my sensitivity to roasting meant that I was looking for better roasting professionals. Some varietals were in and some were out. I could sample coffees locally and immediately know if they were going to work for me. I found that my likes worked best for AeroPress and espresso. Pour-over was not for me.

caj wrote:
I am concerned my mug's infuser is a bit small, the black color is not ideal, but I'll manage for now with it and other vessels (e.g. mason jar or glass measuring cup, then pour through a filter). Water will be another variable to work with that I can control a little.

For casual tea drinking, like during work, I like to use this borosilicate pitcher with integrated filter: https://www.thesteepingroom.com/product ... pot-275-ml

It's easy to see the extraction because it is clear and there's not a lot of immediate thermal loss because of the material, especially compared to glazed ceramic. Because it is glass it is easy to see when it is stained though the stains don't hurt anything. I use sodium percarbonate or coffee maker cleaner to lift the stains out. I think it is dishwasher safe. I've certainly washed mine that way.

The Steeping Room is also a nice tea shop. Prices are good for the level of quality and the tea buyer has an impressive palate.
caj

Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:42 pm

Thank you again, @Baisao!
That's helpful :) If you are interested, I'm happy to share some of my notes from coffee drinking days by message off the board. Based on some of your comments, you are well on your way. It's a deep..deeeeeep hole, especially espresso, tread carefully. Surprised/happy I got out! I'll just write one thing: keep a tastebud out for ketchup/vinegar/bell pepper flavors - this does not necessarily indicate a poor quality bean, but more likely an undeveloped, poor roast so don't let that detract you from trying another of the same bean later. I experienced this flavor a lot in the early days of the so-called 3rd wave roasters, when they were pushing the edge of light roasts. I don't like charcoal, burnt, rubber, etc flavors, either. Secretly my favorite method was the least expensive of all and only worked with the best beans and roasts: cupping style, where the grinds sink to the bottom and you can drink as the beverage cools. I guess we can call it Uncle style? Or Grandma style? :lol:

Thanks for the link to the pitcher, it reminded me that I have a few options at home I can work with for now as I figure out what teas I like. The gear will inevitably follow.

I'm on my way to purchasing a few teas now, thanks for all the help :)
Baisao

Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:01 pm

Thanks for letting me know about the ketchup/vinegar/bell pepper flavors, @caj. I haven’t encountered those but certainly some other unexpected flavors.

Most of my tea making is done using Taiwanese style GFC so I went with the Flair 58 for my espresso maker. I automate things all day and enjoy analog processes in my off time. It has produced exquisite espresso. Certainly better than any I’ve had at the local cafes that are devoted to specialty coffee. This is similar to my experience with tea. I can make better tea than I can order, even at places that know what they are doing. I think this is because of my focus on one cup at a time vs their focus on consistency across hundreds of cups.

Anyway, I’m glad you’re off to a start.
Victoria
Admin

Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:06 pm

@caj Welcome to TeaForum. Since you are in Southern California I highly recommend you visit local tea rooms to sample a variety of teas. There is a very large Asian population here with tea shops and local Asian markets as well that sell tea. The highest quality locally in Los Angeles is TeaHabitat, Imen does tastings every month, mostly though limited to DanCong. Chado Tea has a very broad selection, running from medium/high-to lower grade teas, many locations including in the Japanese American Museum downtown which is worth a visit. Bird Pick in Pasadena has a good broad selection and tasting bar as well. I realize these are in LA area and you are further south so hopefully you can find a tea shop in Orange County, La Jolla/San Diego or around Palos Verdes/Torrance. Those tea shops will also have brewing vessels to browse through en vivo. You might also join Los Angeles Tea Society on FB and ask there if anyone is near you for a tasting. Looks like there is a member in Tustin, posted in pinned ‘Tea Meet Up Areas’. Also, almost forgot Sinensis Tearoom is in Tijuana, nice selection of teas as well as a tearoom for tasting. Salvador the purveyor is extremely knowledgable (Taiwan, Japan, China, India teas) and has a refined, well tuned, ability to taste teas, he’s a super taster who also co-founded LATS 🍃
Bok
Vendor

Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:12 am

A lot of good advice already, I want to add some more general things:

Sample wide and far, trust your own palate – only you know what you like.
Stay open-minded and take any advice given with caution.

Definitely get a better brewing device :) What is mostly advantageous is a thin-walled vessel, for starters preferably in smoothly glazed plain porcelain. Best with cups of the same material. Take it from there.
caj

Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:30 am

Thanks for the shops @Victoria, I do occasionally get up to Los Angeles and sometimes meet a friend in Alhambra! The Tea Habit looks like what I'd want.
Though there's a pretty big Asian population in Irvine and surrounding area, a quick search brings up this cafe style shop amongst several pastry-based tea shops :mrgreen: I'll keep looking of course, but it's likely I'd have to drive to LA or San Diego.

I have a couple sentimental tea cups I've used for bagged tea on occasion, probably better to drink from these than the mug. With the recommendation of a thin-wall brewer, maybe I can repurpose the chemex carafe until I decide on what to get. Actually, for my first gear purchase, I wonder if there might be a matching teapot to this set. Would be nice to start with something of a product close to my peoples :)
Attachments
tea cup.jpg
tea cup.jpg (40.38 KiB) Viewed 1936 times
stamp.jpg
stamp.jpg (56.67 KiB) Viewed 1936 times
polezaivsani

Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:59 am

Won't help you much with matching the style, but as for country of origin, there are plenty potters from Czechia and neighboring countries, e.g. https://sageteaware.com/, https://darjeeling.cz/, and https://www.pu-erh.sk/. We warned you about the many rabbit holes lurking ahead, but it'll be fun ;).
caj

Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:19 am

Thanks for the links :) Any chance there might be slovak potters that do these types of ware? I actually searched for that before, and found the pu-eh.sk site, but that was it.

Also, I have found the "matching" teapot for the zweibelmuster set, a couple show up for sale, but they are used so I'm going to try finding direct through family in SK.
polezaivsani

Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:03 pm

caj wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:19 am
Any chance there might be slovak potters that do these types of ware?
I have no idea. Maybe somebody else here might have tips. Checking it with proprietors of the venues above could also give you some clues. It's your roots—yours is the research ;). Do let us know should you find something beautiful!