Using teas for cooking

m2193

Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:44 pm

Does anyone have suggestions for using tea for cooking, particularly for desserts? I've amassed more than my fair share of tea that aren't necessarily bad, but that I have a hard time drinking through, both from my own purchases and from gifts, like lighter roasted oolongs and jasmine tea. I used a lighter roasted oolong as part of a egg pudding (ish?) recipe some time ago, and that worked well, but for like cakes or something, I was wondering if anyone has any experience. That recipe had just called for lightly simmering the leaves in milk for a few minutes, and it worked fine because so much sugar was in the recipe. So none of the bitterness that I'd expected was there, only the florals and sweetness.

I saw that Lady M has a partially jasmine tea infused crepe cake, and was wondering for something like that, where if one wanted to make crepes or cake or something, would you do the same perhaps in simmering the tea with the milk? Or cold brew the tea somehow in milk or water and strain, and hope the tea infuses? I'm confused, and wondering if they perhaps went with some sort of extract somehow. Perhaps for something like no churn ice cream, where you only need heavy cream and condensed milk, and small amount of concentrated flavoring, I guess I'm really baffled and curious if there may be an optimal method for concentrating the tea for use for such purposes.
aet
Vendor

Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:41 pm

my wife makes TGY (green one) with shrimps.
DailyTX

Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:45 am

aet wrote:
Interesting idea, and I can see how the green one would pair well with shrimps. I have tried the longjing tea stir fried shrimps. It’s a popular recipe. 🤤
aet
Vendor

Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:22 pm

DailyTX wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:45 am
aet wrote:
Interesting idea, and I can see how the green one would pair well with shrimps. I have tried the longjing tea stir fried shrimps. It’s a popular recipe. 🤤
she brews the leaves first for 1min in hot water ( but not 100C ) to open them up , then strain it out so have a leaves to get dry a bit from the excessive water. Low heat pan with bit of oil , put the leaves on and once you start to smell the tea fragrance , then u put shrimps to fry .
It does add some flavor to shrimps but do not expect like tasting some flowery notes in your seafood ;-DD
Baisao

Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:16 pm

Not a dessert but a salad. I take spent gyokuro and toss it with Japanese rice vinegar and a light sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds.
caj

Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:20 pm

Some ideas for dessert:
- macarons (filling or batter)
- eclairs / papas / choux (filling or glaze)
- ice cream / gelato is a popular one
- white chocolate truffle ganache filling
- ginger snap cookie frosting
- "chai latte" pastry... think rum cake, but cardomon and masala flavored, drizzle tea over it, cream glaze/frosting
- "chai latte" mousse

Not dessert, but I've seen some use tea as a broth to cook rice or other grains (e.g. dashi). This could be eaten sweet or savory.

I might not know how to make these, but I could eat them (except the ice cream, not my thing)