Teapot from hojo

LeoFox

Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:08 pm

Victoria wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:57 am
The clay is burnished, not glazed. Burnishing takes additional time by rubbing the clay with a hard object, compressing the clay.
@Teafortea
https://hojotea.com/item_e/mumyoi.htm
It is said that Mumyoi teapot becomes very shiny after using it for some time. When it is well-seasoned, you can actually see your reflection on its surface. After being heated, the red clay shrinks to more than 30%; the gaps between the clay structure is compacted and are very close together. It easily traps substances from tea and thus forming a very shiny surface.

Many customers describe that the texture of Mumyoi teapot is as smooth as silk. There is another important process which contributes to this fine texture of Mumyoi teapot. The process is called "Namamigaki". It is carried out after teapot is partially dried at room temperature. The surface of the teapot is pressed by rods or stone to smoothen and harden its surface. This process is the most time-consuming work but it makes the surface of the clay very solid and tight. Even the "Namamigaki" expert can only complete 5 teapots in a day. Each teapot requires at least two times of "Namamigaki" process.

That said, yours seem a lot shinier than most other mumyoi I've seen. Lots of extra effort in the burnishing
Teafortea

Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:38 pm

Victoria wrote:
The clay is burnished, not glazed. Burnishing takes additional time by rubbing the clay with a hard object, compressing the clay.
Oh thank you! 😊 learned something new.
Teafortea

Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:40 pm

LeoFox wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:08 pm
Victoria wrote:
Teafortea
https://hojotea.com/item_e/mumyoi.htm
It is said that Mumyoi teapot becomes very shiny after using it for some time. When it is well-seasoned, you can actually see your reflection on its surface. After being heated, the red clay shrinks to more than 30%; the gaps between the clay structure is compacted and are very close together. It easily traps substances from tea and thus forming a very shiny surface.

Many customers describe that the texture of Mumyoi teapot is as smooth as silk. There is another important process which contributes to this fine texture of Mumyoi teapot. The process is called "Namamigaki". It is carried out after teapot is partially dried at room temperature. The surface of the teapot is pressed by rods or stone to smoothen and harden its surface. This process is the most time-consuming work but it makes the surface of the clay very solid and tight. Even the "Namamigaki" expert can only complete 5 teapots in a day. Each teapot requires at least two times of "Namamigaki" process.

That said, yours seem a lot shinier than most other mumyoi I've seen. Lots of extra effort in the burnishing
This is very helpful! Thank you so much. Makes me feel better now...
Bok
Vendor

Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:14 pm

I had read this, but forgotten about it afterwards. For the work it is, Mumyoi should be quite a bit more expensive than other potteries from Japan, assuming this is only done for Mumyoi?
faj

Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:47 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:14 pm
I had read this, but forgotten about it afterwards. For the work it is, Mumyoi should be quite a bit more expensive than other potteries from Japan, assuming this is only done for Mumyoi?
To the best of my knowledge, works from Watanabe Tozo are sold the same price (by Hojo) whether they go through Namamigaki or not. I cannot say that Namamigaki increases the value in a direct way : some people prefer with, others prefer without, and others prefer having both, so maybe it is a mater of market size rather than margins. Maybe some pots subsidize others, because it is expected to yield higher total sales overall. Maybe it is specialized labor that, for reasons good or bad, is attributed little value compared to that of the potter. Maybe there are some tools that allow the work to be done faster than what is shown. People selling the teapots have certainly considered the options, surely this is not just done by accident or neglect.