Tips for a beginner? (Switching from coffee)

Bok
Vendor

Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:22 am

I’d argue that only the best teas can take the harshest and most neglectful treatments…

The lower grade the teas become, the more a good brewing method or hardware can elevate them to be better - of course until a point in quality where everything is lost.
LeoFox

Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:25 am

.m. wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:00 am
LeoFox wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:07 am
No time to enjoy or brew a tea properly? Limited equipment? What's the point then to drink anything other than cheap, mediocre tea in cheap mediocre teaware that will just move you along with work?

Anything else will be a waste.
I disagree. I don't believe there is a proper way of brewing or drinking tea. Surely, there are teas that need special attention and treatment, otherwise they'd be wasted, but there are also lot of decent to high quality teas that can be truly enjoyed in various ways (i've had some of the most amazing tea sessions with a puerh brewed in a tomato jar wrapped in old sock). Of course, what i call "quality" may for someone else mean "mediocre". :lol:
Sounds amazing for sure - pu in old sock. Please tell me it's hong kong wet stored pu.
debunix

Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:57 am

LeoFox wrote:
No time to enjoy or brew a tea properly? Limited equipment? What's the point then to drink anything other than cheap, mediocre tea in cheap mediocre teaware that will just move you along with work?

I find it less about whether it is top drawer or middle of the road quality, and more about whether it is a tea that can handle the long storage inherent in bulk brewing in advance, or not 100% attention-filled brewing on the spot. Sometimes it gives a real lift in the middle of a difficult day to enjoy a fine tea that has been dropped in the thermos and covered with hot water instead of a middle of the road tea, but I still would not do this with my most precious and limited (e.g., can't-find-out-where-I-can-get-any-more-of-it) teas. And I definitely buy some teas that I would not necessarily be excited by during a focused tea session specifically because I know they will be fine for bulk brewing.

Balance and moderation and occasional treats works for me.
faj

Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:37 am

.m. wrote:
i've had some of the most amazing tea sessions with a puerh brewed in a tomato jar wrapped in old sock.
I am sure old socks can contribute to the enjoyment of fermented teas, especially if they have gone through aging at optimal temperature and humidity. :D
ChihuahuaTea

Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:34 am

LeoFox wrote:

If I were back in the office, I would probably just drink some indian/Ceylon stuff, and then have a nice session at home.

As for storage, etc, etc. Doesn't matter for cheap junky tea. Do whatever. Won't make a difference in this kind of setting.

If you think boiling teabags in an electric tea kettle is good enough- why stop? Hahahah - actually that kind of treatment might work for stuff like this

https://www.wuyiorigin.com/collections/ ... brick-2015
So In your opinion if one doesn’t have the time to do a more involved tea session, then it’s probably not worth using anything more than Earl Grey or whatever twinings is offering anyway? No middle ground at all for those who work and still want to try something new or different or a little “better”?

I guess that’s still good to know.
LeoFox

Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:07 pm

ChihuahuaTea wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:34 am
LeoFox wrote:

If I were back in the office, I would probably just drink some indian/Ceylon stuff, and then have a nice session at home.

As for storage, etc, etc. Doesn't matter for cheap junky tea. Do whatever. Won't make a difference in this kind of setting.

If you think boiling teabags in an electric tea kettle is good enough- why stop? Hahahah - actually that kind of treatment might work for stuff like this

https://www.wuyiorigin.com/collections/ ... brick-2015
So In your opinion if one doesn’t have the time to do a more involved tea session, then it’s probably not worth using anything more than Earl Grey or whatever twinings is offering anyway? No middle ground at all for those who work and still want to try something new or different or a little “better”?

I guess that’s still good to know.
Honestly, not too much point in my opinion. Maybe it also depends on the work. If it is very challenging, highly dynamic work that really requires you to be on for long periods of time- I would really just drink something basic if I must- or something very concentrated that I can take within a 3-5 min break. At work, that used to be espresso shots.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:44 pm

.m. wrote:
(i've had some of the most amazing tea sessions with a puerh brewed in a tomato jar wrapped in old sock). Of course, what i call "quality" may for someone else mean "mediocre". :lol:
If an argument is going to ensue. I hope it is for the sake of humor & w/o misunderstanding:

So, a sock was wrapped around a tomato can; so, you would not burn your hands while holding it. Not important, unless it was dirty & was malodourous.

Leo K does not want leaves that are very good to be wasted. As Bok wrote & Leo & most of us know, absolutely perfect preparation & ideal teaware is not necessary to enjoy very good tea; however, why not show some respect for leaves that nature & human endeavor cannot produce in great abundance?

.m. I doubt very much that your old sock was malodourous. I do fear that once again someone has come to the forum, posted like crazy about every session, every tea, every feeling or thought about a "tea journey" & its potential & is thrillled by the attention & an argument. Then he & the tempest in his teapot will be gone in about a month. (I will apologize if wrong & welcome a new true fan of tea to buy from me.)
Baisao

Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:47 pm

Bok wrote:
I’d argue that only the best teas can take the harshest and most neglectful treatments…
Japanese green teas are one exception to this. Most are unpalatable after mistreatment owing to their genetics and processing. Some organic senchas are more forgiving in my experience but these are outliers. This rule generally applies to Chinese/Taiwanese teas.
Baisao

Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:51 pm

.m. wrote:
i've had some of the most amazing tea sessions with a puerh brewed in a tomato jar wrapped in old sock.
Anyone else love matsutake? Mmmmm, red hots and gym socks. An unbelievable combination but I’m salivating!
.m.

Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:07 pm

LeoFox wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:25 am
.m. wrote:
LeoFox wrote:

I disagree. I don't believe there is a proper way of brewing or drinking tea. Surely, there are teas that need special attention and treatment, otherwise they'd be wasted, but there are also lot of decent to high quality teas that can be truly enjoyed in various ways (i've had some of the most amazing tea sessions with a puerh brewed in a tomato jar wrapped in old sock). Of course, what i call "quality" may for someone else mean "mediocre". :lol:
Sounds amazing for sure - pu in old sock. Please tell me it's hong kong wet stored pu.
Lol, no wodui smells. For both I prefer "dry" storage :P
ChihuahuaTea

Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:34 pm

LeoFox wrote:
]
Honestly, not too much point in my opinion. Maybe it also depends on the work. If it is very challenging, highly dynamic work that really requires you to be on for long periods of time- I would really just drink something basic if I must- or something very concentrated that I can take within a 3-5 min break. At work, that used to be espresso shots.
Fair enough

I have an espresso machine and used to hit that up for that quick boost.
For health reasons I’m trying to get away from coffee.

So if it’s a pot of Earl grey and an herbal tea in the afternoon, I think that’s still better than chugging coffee like it’s Gatorade all day.

And I guess I’m trying to decide if there is a step up from just boiling a pot of twinings Irish breakfast that could (1) make it more enjoyable and (2) add some variety and (3) maybe even taste better (knowing that I’m not reaching perfection.

As mentioned I will be drinking at home too so can try more proper techniques there and see how I appreciate the difference.
LeoFox

Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:15 pm

ChihuahuaTea wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:34 pm
LeoFox wrote:
]
Fair enough

I have an espresso machine and used to hit that up for that quick boost.
For health reasons I’m trying to get away from coffee.

So if it’s a pot of Earl grey and an herbal tea in the afternoon, I think that’s still better than chugging coffee like it’s Gatorade all day.

And I guess I’m trying to decide if there is a step up from just boiling a pot of twinings Irish breakfast that could (1) make it more enjoyable and (2) add some variety and (3) maybe even taste better (knowing that I’m not reaching perfection.

As mentioned I will be drinking at home too so can try more proper techniques there and see how I appreciate the difference.
You could also try matcha.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91
Baisao

Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:05 pm

Virtually any loose leaf is a step-up from Twinings or other supermarket bagged teas.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:08 pm

Baisao wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:47 pm
Bok wrote:
Japanese green teas are one exception to this. Most are unpalatable after mistreatment owing to their genetics and processing. Some organic senchas are more forgiving in my experience but these are outliers. This rule generally applies to Chinese/Taiwanese teas.
True, forgot about these!

Also @ChihuahuaTea life is to short to eat or drink bad stuff, if I don’t have time for good tea I’d rather have water at work. Or some still acceptable tea that can take a neglectful brewing in a larger vessel.
Andrew S

Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:40 pm

A good example might be the Laoshi Dong Ding from @Tillerman that I abused at work for a week or two. It made working until midnight much more enjoyable.

It actually tasted very good brewed in a big tall glass, with a deeper fruitiness than when I had it brewed normally. Not necessarily inferior, despite the abuse and lack of proper attention.

I admit that I wouldn't 'waste' some other teas like that, often because of their rarity more than because of their price, but other times because I simply wouldn't enjoy them brewed like that (eg, yancha). Like always, it depends.

I've also enjoyed 'abusing' some 70s loose leaf puer at yum cha with friends; lots of fun (and perhaps more 'traditional' than using a small teapot).

Andrew