Looking to speak to international tea-lovers who moved to the UK

Lorrie0919
New user

Wed May 04, 2022 10:22 am

Hi there,
I'm a student journalist from the University of Sheffield and I'm currently working on a feature article about tea, I'm looking to speak to some international young adults (especially women because this is for a female agezine) who moved to the UK to share their experiences in drinking tea in the UK. Have you found trouble in finding any tea you actually like when you just relocated in here? Do you have any thoughts and experiences to share?
If this is you please comment! Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
mbanu

Wed May 04, 2022 4:05 pm

Welcome! I hope you will consider staying after your project is through.

There are more Sinophiles here than Anglophiles, so you might not get many responses, sadly. You might have more luck in reverse, through looking for references to British tea in social media not dedicated to tea. If a young woman is drinking Fortnum & Mason teas on Instagram or Tik Tok, for example, she likely knows other young woman who drink British teas. You might ask over on /r/RateMyTea on Reddit, which seems to be the most British-tea-friendly portion of Reddit's tea ecosystem (everyone there seems to drink Yorkshire Gold for some reason), keeping in mind the general demographics of Reddit. In the U.S., I think the gateway British tea is often Twinings, as it is widely available at local grocery stores that won't carry other British teas, and it is sometimes the only loose-leaf British brand available locally without going to a dedicated tea-shop.

For adjacent trends, there's "cottagecore", which focuses on an aesthetic that draws a lot from idealized versions of British country life. If you don't mind catching mostly embarrassed Millennials, there's also Harry Potter -- I think that book series created a lot of tea-drinking Anglophiles.