Cupping

teatray

Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:14 am

Did my first cupping today. It was very educational. Tasted:
  • Left*: Oriental Beauty Premium Grade “House Blend” Oolong Tea, Lot 10F140 from Taiwan Tea Crafts ($0.35/g if you buy max amount: 250g) product link (but different lot)
  • Right: Dong Fang Meiren Grand Superior from Sazen ($0.84/g if you buy max amount: 100g) product link
(*except in the scale pic, where Sazen is Left, oops; it is Right on all others).

I remember finding out I probably don't like the weird (to me) sweetness of Oriental Beauty (=Dongfang Meiren) when tasting Sazen's product, but wanted to try at least one other version of this famous tea. When tasting separately, I liked TTC's even less: to me it smells worse, looks worse, tastes even more "off", and doesn't leave that fresh, super-long-lasting aftertaste in the mouth (which is one of the things I did like about Sazen's O.B.).

Cupping side by side, look & smell of the dry leaf was similar to my previous impression (Sazen being superior). I cannot judge the aftertastes, as they're mixed together. But the liquors tasted much more alike than I expected. I looked hard for the notes that would help me identify each one in a blind test, and (I think) I found them, but it was not as trivial as I thought, and they were not all in Sazen's favor. All in all, the only really important taste difference was the aftertaste, but is it worth paying more than twice the price? I'll leave this consideration to people who actually like O.B., but it was very educational!

BTW, I should mention that TTC also sells a more expensive, higher-end O.B. (it was out of stock) while Sazen also has a cheaper "Superior" (not "Grand") O.B., so I wouldn't draw conclusions about price/performance ratios for O.B., not to mention any general conclusions about the sellers. In contast to the above results, I have yet to find a match in quality from TTC for a significantly cheaper Dong Ding from Sazen ($0.42/g), having tried some quite expensive near-$1/g stuff from TTC (high-mountain oolongs).

Overall, I'm very glad I tried this, I learned a lot. The real use for me will be tasting Taiping Houkui, which I found out I like a lot for afternoon tea, but the price of $1.77/g at Sazen (and that's incl. some discount they're having for Chinese greens) restricts it to only special occasions for me (and seems quite high, even if it's a superior version from the original village, etc.). So I will be comparing this with Hojo's and other sources (would appreciate recommendations).

Would be interested how others do cuppings and what established protocols there are.
Measuring.jpg
Measuring.jpg (452.58 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
Ready-to-go.jpg
Ready-to-go.jpg (612.14 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
Left-is-a-few-seconds-behind-right.jpg
Left-is-a-few-seconds-behind-right.jpg (771.4 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
OCD-dipping-temp-probe-in-clean-water.jpg
OCD-dipping-temp-probe-in-clean-water.jpg (528.98 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
Equalizing-before-tasting.jpg
Equalizing-before-tasting.jpg (476.3 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
The-end.jpg
The-end.jpg (765.92 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
Youzi

Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:56 am

What's that machine that you used for equalizing the temp?
teatray

Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:03 am

Youzi wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:56 am
What's that machine that you used for equalizing the temp?
A sous-vide circulator (which I use more frequently for various experiments & "lab" work than for actual sous-vide!)
.m.

Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:22 am

Interesting way of brewing. However 56C seems like quite a low temperature. Perhaps the difference would me more obvious with a boiling water.
teatray

Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:00 am

.m. wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:22 am
Interesting way of brewing. However 56C seems like quite a low temperature. Perhaps the difference would me more obvious with a boiling water.
Oh, I put boiling water in the cups, but decided on 56°C as the tasting temperature, so, when they were both cooled down to just above 56°C, I put the cups in the water bath to make sure they are exactly the same temp when tasting.
.m.

Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:34 am

That's brilliant!