jade teaware

bentz98125

Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:45 pm

A friend asked about a jade tea set he has. The absence of discussion about jade for drinking tea suggests it is just ornamental at worst, or, can serve as a relatively neutral medium like porcelain or glass, at best. Knowledge about jade is a specialized area all on its own, never mind for use as tea ware. But if anyone were to know anything about it, seems like this would would be the place!
mbanu

Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:12 pm

Often lack of discussion is related to the demographics of the writers -- it is a common misconception that the internet is a representative sample of global culture, including global tea-culture. Sometimes the reason why there isn't discussion of a tea-culture is because there simply isn't anyone there familiar with it. (I am probably part of this problem, as I have never brewed tea in a jade teapot.) Iran has a per-capita tea consumption of almost 2kg, but you would never know it going by online English-language tea-discussion. :D

Carved teapots are also made out of soapstone and other materials. Zhou Changxing (周长兴) was a famous carver in the 80s and 90s.
Attachments
zhouchangxing.jpg
zhouchangxing.jpg (568.07 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
bentz98125

Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:05 pm

muyu.jpeg
muyu.jpeg (46.84 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
Turns out it was "muyu stone" rather than jade. So same question but for muyu stone instead of jade.
bentz98125

Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:24 pm

mbanu wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:12 pm
Often lack of discussion is related to the demographics of the writers -- it is a common misconception that the internet is a representative sample of global culture, including global tea-culture. Sometimes the reason why there isn't discussion of a tea-culture is because there simply isn't anyone there familiar with it. (I am probably part of this problem, as I have never brewed tea in a jade teapot.) Iran has a per-capita tea consumption of almost 2kg, but you would never know it going by online English-language tea-discussion. :D

Carved teapots are also made out of soapstone and other materials. Zhou Changxing (周长兴) was a famous carver in the 80s and 90s.

It may well be that the history of tea is longer and more convoluted than accounted for on english language internet forums, but the earth could be round too, and you won't find me believing that anytime soon!
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:48 pm

Regarding tea: The best feature of jade is how well the stone maintains its temperature. One can put it in a freezer to get it very cold & then it can keep a cool drink cold w/out changing it as melting ice would; or, one can preheat jade & keep beverages hot. The stone does not seem to effect flavor. Jade is heavy & awkward for use as teapots but okay for medium or small sized cups & saucers. Small saucers have many uses, the best being service as worry stones & objects of beauty that don't demand attention but please & soothe when called upon.

I stopped selling jade actively several years ago. I don't get contacted for jewelry though that is what sold the most. People do find me for more cups & saucers. I use a saucer that holds about 30 ml for the first taste of an infusion. It quickly cools it enough to drink & shines beautifully (keeping me happy if I must wait much longer than originally planned for a brew to be fully prepared properly). I also pick it up before I have put any liquid into it. I rub as if it were a worry stone & admire its beauty. (I have a jade Buddha that is valued at $1850 that I don't enjoy as much as I enjoy the saucer.)
Bok
Vendor

Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:52 pm

bentz98125 wrote:
but the earth could be round too, and you won't find me believing that anytime soon!
Lucky that science does not need belief :)
bentz98125

Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:39 am

A little information here:

https://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?t=12042

Known for leeching minerals into water I guess tea flavors made with it would be extremely idiosyncratic and highly specific to particular teas and waters. Probably rules out the Japanese steamed tea family. Citrus and floral note teas probably not suited for it and even mineral tasting teas might clash with the wooden fish stone's minerals. Unless they compliment. Might be fun to experiment. Maybe not with really expensive teas though.
bentz98125

Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:05 am

Bok wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:52 pm
bentz98125 wrote:
but the earth could be round too, and you won't find me believing that anytime soon!
Lucky that science does not need belief :)
Lucky for science. As for humans, I wonder if nature wouldn't prefer its bounty of DNA variation to not include the human kind. Ignoring science might be a good way to find out. Let's give it a shot.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:32 am

Last off-topic comment - where we get when people ignore science can be admired quite well at the moment all over the world… it ain’t pretty.