Does the bottom piece of a gaiwan have a purpose?

d.manuk

Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:58 pm

I always receive this little plate thing with gaiwans I purchase.

I always throw it out and never use it, and because my fingers don't burn using a gaiwan.
Does it actually have a purpose, such as better heat retention or dissipation for the brewing cup, or am I ok not using one?
debunix

Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:46 pm

Depending on the design of the gaiwan and what I'm brewing in it, I sometimes use it to decrease risk of burning fingers, like when brewing with just-off-the-boil water in these thin porcelain gaiwans:

d.manuk

Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:07 pm

debunix wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:46 pm
Depending on the design of the gaiwan and what I'm brewing in it, I sometimes use it to decrease risk of burning fingers, like when brewing with just-off-the-boil water in these thin porcelain gaiwans:

I specifically bought the one in the op because it has a slightly taller flare out of the rim so my fingers never get burned using it.
Greywacke

Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:01 pm

Alternatively, why do people (still) use saucers with teacups?

It's a reciprocal for the cup. I don't often use it for pouring (unless I'm holding the gaiwan thumb-on-lid, fingers-on-saucer); usually don't see others do it either. It's more meant to give you something to hold when you're drinking directly from the gaiwan as a cup. The first example that comes to mind with this is when Obama took tea with a Chinese politician; specifically because I remember everyone making fun of Obama drinking from the gaiwan "wrong". Otherwise, I just use it to catch drips between gaiwan pours, a la dry pour gongfu.

Ran a quick search to see if the gaiwan base had an official "place" in dry pour gongfu, ended up finding a TeaGuardian article about the above point of gaiwan-drinking: https://www.teaguardian.com/tea-hows/gaiwan-as-a-cup/ (also, here's the the Obama clip: https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4619286/xi-obama-tea here's hoping I don't get flagged for off-site links)

Couldn't find any articles specifically mentioning gaiwan bases in dry pour, but gaiwans pictured on ganpao/tea boats rarely have their bases/saucers, so I feel like it's safe to say they can serve the same purpose, and are omitted for that redundancy. Even if they don't hold the same amount of liquid.
OldWaysTea
Vendor

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:10 am

I use one. The tray drain is not hooked up, but it still catches some spills. If I overfill the gaiwan I sometimes use the lid to tilt it and pour a little in the saucer. At home I use a large (6" or so) saucer shaped tray for the gaiwan to retain spills. I never pick the saucer up though, and always hold the gaiwan by the flair and the lid.
RJHAHIm.jpg
RJHAHIm.jpg (139.69 KiB) Viewed 8600 times
Atlas

Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:21 pm

I generally just use mine as a saucer to prevent drips running down the side and getting on my desk.

That said, I have a 50ml gaiwan that is almost impossible to use without shielding my fingers with the saucer.
Bok
Vendor

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:41 pm

They probably also serve the simple purpose of holding the cup when drinking. If I am not mistaken back in the days, they were mainly used drinking tea in ”grandpa” style, throwing some leaves in and adding water through the day. In the days before thermos. Think the imperial court teaware which you sometimes see in the background on period Qing paintings. Those were all Northerners, so they very likely would not brew tea gong fu style. They’d throw in some green tea leaves in and that’s it. Lid was just to prevent cooling.

After all gaibei/-wan, just means covered cup/bowl.
Tillerman
Vendor

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:05 pm

Bok wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:41 pm
They probably also serve the simple purpose of holding the cup when drinking. If I am not mistaken back in the days, they were mainly used drinking tea in ”grandpa” style, throwing some leaves in and adding water through the day. In the days before thermos. Think the imperial court teaware which you sometimes see in the background on period Qing paintings. Those were all Northerners, so they very likely would not brew tea gong fu style. They’d throw in some green tea leaves in and that’s it. Lid was just to prevent cooling.

After all gaibei/-wan, just means covered cup/bowl.
I agree with you Bok. Also, the early iterations of the gaiwan had no saucer. That was a later addition.
Bok
Vendor

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:12 pm

See also this: https://www.teaguardian.com/tea-hows/te ... usel-13671
Interesting historical images
Teachronicles

Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:51 am

Bok wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:12 pm
See also this: https://www.teaguardian.com/tea-hows/te ... usel-13671
Interesting historical images
Very interesting pictures bok, thank you for sharing.
Psyck

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:33 am

Atlas wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:21 pm
I generally just use mine as a saucer to prevent drips running down the side and getting on my desk.

That said, I have a 50ml gaiwan that is almost impossible to use without shielding my fingers with the saucer.
Yeah I also find that for some gaiwans (smaller ones or those with not too wide a flare in the cup) it is far more easier to pour holding the saucer and lid. BTW, where did you get your 50ml one? I haven't seen any online vendors offering ones in such small size.
Atlas

Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:58 am

Psyck wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:33 am
-snip-
HERE.

Depends whether you have $20 of want for one though. It's a gorgeously-smooth subtle-green glaze and nicer than cheaper gaiwans, but it's still a plain celadon gaiwan. If you want one that small though, as you say, options are short.

I figured it'd pay for itself over time since I can use 1-2g less tea, at my usual strength.

EDIT: Oh shit, my bad, looks like it's not available anymore and I can't find a similar listing... Maybe take a look on eBay or reverse-image-search the images to try and track something down
Psyck

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:26 am

Thanks Atlas, from your description, I think the one at Dragon Tea House is exactly the same as the one offered by Tea Masters. It is also light green celadon and has the same shape including the dimpled curves of the saucer. I own the one from Tea Masters and always thought the 70ml description was inaccurate as it looked smaller. I think these gaiwans are closer to 60ml capacity to the water line. In contrast, the so-called 60ml gaiwan sold by YS is far larger and closer to 80ml.

It is a nice gaiwan and an ideal option for small amounts of teas that are suitable for brewing in thin porcelain.
http://www.tea-masters.com/en/qingbai-c ... aiwan.html
gatmcm

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:31 am

Psyck wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:26 am
In contrast, the so-called 60ml gaiwan sold by YS is far larger and closer to 80ml.
I was under the contrary impression so I measured the ys 60ml one, it's a bit over 65ml filled to the very top, when filled reasonably its closer to 50.
I measured in grams of water, my scale isnt the best so I can't rule out systematic error.