Your day in tea

Victoria
Admin

Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:58 pm

Had a really great tasting with a tea buddy this afternoon that evolved into 6 hours (had no idea!). Take away is friendship, great tea and great music rock. Add to that excellent yancha curated by LazyCat -it is energetic, radiating up and out of the body, in an almost mystical way.

I don’t typically list prices but today we did check. We started with;
* Thunderbolt’s First Flush Margaret’s Hope White 2023 $1 gram. FF white is best within first 9 months. It’s getting slightly degraded, but still tasty. After Castleton Moonlight Imperial (not available in 2023) this is a second favorite white FF Darjeeling of mine.

* HY Chen’s Wild Forest Back Ching Sin da Mou. It’s a really excellent aromatic and nuanced Taiwan black! Highly recommend, very elegant. $ .50c gram

* Hojo’s Yancha Yao Zi Ke Rou Gui - Is good but I assumed before looking that it was a $1 gram yancha not $2.76 gram. Seems overpriced, but I’ll enjoy none the less.

* Lazy Cat’s Gemstone Rougui 2021 – Zhengyan. Very good on par with price point as well. I could enjoy frequently. $1.24 gram

* Lazy Cat’s Sanyangfeng Rougui 2021 – Zhengyan. An Excellent AAA yancha also on par with price point, $3 gram. Lazy Cat rocks. Listened to Thundercat’s Them Changes and Herbie Hancock’s Watermelon Man while enjoying this one.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:07 am

Victoria wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:58 pm
* Lazy Cat’s Gemstone Rougui 2021 – Zhengyan. Very good on par with price point as well. I could enjoy frequently. $1.24 gram

* Lazy Cat’s Sanyangfeng Rougui 2021 – Zhengyan. An Excellent AAA yancha also on par with price point, $3 gram. Lazy Cat rocks. Listened to Thundercat’s Them Changes and Herbie Hancock’s Watermelon Man while enjoying this one.
Nice to hear that Lazy Cat still rocks with his rock tea!
debunix

Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:42 am

I opened My Obubu Tea Farm spring tea club delivery today (it actually arrived a week or so ago but I hadn't yet opened it). This one contains several gyokuro teas and the annual Sakura sencha, Plus a mysterious pouch simply labeled 20th anniversary. It is a rather mysterious tea without any English label that describes the tea itself, so I'm testing my tea skills trying to figure this out.

The leaves are long, thin, deep gray green to almost black, and there is a rich slightly aged/fruity note to the dry leaf. It smells very promising.
IMG_6850.jpeg
IMG_6850.jpeg (225.21 KiB) Viewed 266 times
I've put the whole quantity in my Toujo houhin, and I'm starting at 160° for one minute.

with the gooseneck on my Stagg kettle, it takes about 10 seconds just to add the water and I'm including that in my 60 seconds.

With the large filter and spout, the Toujo pours out much faster than the kettle pours in!

The result is very consistent with the initial scent of the dry leaf: a slightly fruity, aged or fermented note that is very delicate, perhaps a little thin. Next infusion I'm going to go up too much hot water because I think that is what this tea wants.

and indeed, the higher heat infusions are what this team wants. It has a moderate astringency very little bitterness, and there is that fruity/fermented tea flavor that is quite pleasing to me. A very interesting tea from Obubu!