Teabags/Tea balls

Mark-S

Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:53 pm

Hi 👋,

It's very hard to remove crushed leaves from some of my smaller pots. How do you do this?

Do you use tea bags, tea balls or something similar?

Regards,
Mark
Victoria
Admin

Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:11 pm

I usually use a small wooden spoon to remove tea leaves, followed by water to get last bits out. If you mean how to steep crushed leaves, one method is to place crushed leaves in a small pile at bottom of pot surrounded by larger leaves, this way the bigger leaves block the tiny bits from coming out into your cup. Kyarazen describes and illustrates the process well in this article Chaozhou Gongfu Tea Brewing Method.
debunix

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:18 pm

I hold my pot over a waste container, tap on my pot gently with my finger and the bulk of the leaves usually fall out. Then I rinse the pot under running water from the tap (at home), over my stainless steel sink (one of my favorite things in my kitchen, after losing too many pieces to cracking or shattering with a slip over ceramic sinks). I also run water backwards through the spout to flush out the leaves caught in the filter.

At work, it’s trickier. I do not have a kind sink for rinsing, so I do more with flushing the spout and rinsing with water from my tea kettle, and I keep a large plastic bucket for waste. I often have to resort to wiping out some leaf with fingers or tissue before a final rinse.

(All of that is loose leaf)