When did the number of steeps start increasing for gongfu and why?

mbanu

Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:29 pm

Another mention from 1999, this time by the French artist Dominique T. Pasqualini in his monologue, The Time of Tea.
Dominique T. Pasqualini wrote: Number of Infusions

When the leaves are placed in the gaibei, the considerable number of pourings of water that will infuse it will not be decided by the quality of the tea, which is often crude, but rather by the certainty that at the end of the day, the water will have lost all color and savor. During infusion, a good quality white, yellow or green tea will undergo an evolution of the same type as a wine, with its successive primary, secondary and tertiary bouquets. However, when a bottle has been uncorked, another evolution takes place, not in the course of tasting, but in the lost balance of the wine, specifically by way of the acceleration of its exchanges with the air or by the mechanical movement necessary to serve it, which also affects it. Tea follows a similar course, but through various infusions, generally three: in the first one, the most flowery perfumes are diffused, then in the following liquor, the same takes on its greatest fullness, and finally one sees the dominant character impose itself. This course will reveal even greater differences -- more marked or more modulated -- in Taiwanese Wulongs and in the huge blue-green family of Chinese teas, especially the Dan Congs or the "rock" teas, the aromatic complexity of which is sometimes even greater than that of wine. Considering that all the nuances of its most volatile aromas are obtained, the period of infusion is remarkably short, rarely as long as half a minute; so the quantity must also correspond to the amount that one will be able to drink before it goes cold; in that way the infusion brings out only a few of the possible qualities of the measure of tea, which must be diffused in later fillings of the teapot. A Wulong, prepared in the gongfucha manner, will thus allow between six and fifteen infusions taken from the same tea leaves. For some exceptional crops, these limits may even be exceeded... An old Pu Er is probably the tea in which the number of infusions will be taken furthest: one must say that the length of time for which the leaves are soaked is also, on a sort of compensatory principle, much shorter: the time for the measure of tea to be covered. The multiplication of "waters" on a black tea, only lengthening the amount of time that the leaves are soaked very slowly -- by a few seconds at a time -- might indeed carry on for several hours, or even days. If the climate is not too hot and if the tea has more than thirty or even ninety years of maturity.
"Rinsing water," Lu Yu said when speaking of bad teas. The phrase is literal if used to designate brewing as still practiced in the West, even in the most highly-regarded places, because it is indeed the first water that is consumed, the water which in China rehydrates the leaves and rinses off any dust. To confirm this general inversion of things, while one has not thrown away the first (washing) water, the leaves are left for too long in the infusion, annihilating any possible fragrances and spoiling the savors of the liquid, and the leaves are thrown away without being given the chance of another infusion. It is remarkable that the counterfeit version of "British tea" in the nineteenth century, by recycling infused tea, paradoxically achieved what can be extracted from tea with a more precise economy of means.
In his rambling way, he notes that both three steeps and multiple steeps were known at that time, with three being the norm, which suggests that the change might have been a development of the 1990s. Most likely he was paraphrasing Yu Hui Tseng of La Maison des Trois Thés, the only teashop in Paris he seemed to have any regard for.

That might also explain why the author of A Passage to Chinese Tea disagreed, as his experience with Taiwanese tea-culture was from the 80s -- by the 90s he was running his own teashop in Malaysia.
Bok
Vendor

Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:49 pm

Does it matter?
mbanu

Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:13 pm

Bok wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:49 pm
Does it matter?
I find history is a little like salt, in that it makes the things one is already interested in more interesting, even if it is not especially interesting on its own. Having a date-range, we can start to place events using other events. For example, if we were to assume that this style of gongfu was just settling into place by 1994 when Taiwanese fans began to visit Yiwu in hopes of direct-sourcing new versions of the old pu'er they enjoyed, that would make the practice around the same age as the "Bart Gets Famous" episode of the American cartoon The Simpsons -- being able to frame tea-history using popular culture helps me place it better, so it's personally enjoyable trivia for me, at least. :D

who-started-the-high-number-of-steeps.jpg
who-started-the-high-number-of-steeps.jpg (241.69 KiB) Viewed 2978 times

I suppose from a Taiwan perspective, another way to view it might be this was around the same time that Jody Chiang's Spilling Truth After Drinks was flying off the shelves?

Bok
Vendor

Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:27 pm

I agree that history is interesting.

But in this case, I find it hard to believe that all the people of a certain region and time would brew the same way. It is the same as it is now: as many methods to make tea as there are people. If people are casually sitting together and having tea, they are not counting steeps… not to forget that Chinese tea culture is less rigid and more focused on the actual tea rather than a ritual with societal functions.

Usually the ones slavishly sticking to this kind of rules are the ones without confidence or experience, anyone else will naturally gravitate towards intuitive brewing at some point. Stopping when there is nothing left in the tea, etc. …
Baisao

Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:46 pm

Bok wrote:

But in this case, I find it hard to believe that all the people of a certain region and time would brew the same way. It is the same as it is now: as many methods to make tea as there are people. If people are casually sitting together and having tea, they are not counting steeps… not to forget that Chinese tea culture is less rigid and more focused on the actual tea rather than a ritual with societal functions.

Usually the ones slavishly sticking to this kind of rules are the ones without confidence or experience, anyone else will naturally gravitate towards intuitive brewing at some point. Stopping when there is nothing left in the tea, etc. …
THIS
mbanu

Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:58 am

Bok wrote:

Tea is a collaboration, so sometimes people who have tea together make tea the same way when it is their turn to brew. :) "It was the style at the time", just the same way that a person can make a reasonable guess at how old a photograph is by the style of the haircut, even though there were some people with that haircut before that time, and some people who kept it long after its popularity faded.
Bok
Vendor

Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:40 pm

@mbanu again, we are in agreement about the greater idea. But a defined number of steeps seems still only to concern specific rituals, rather than everyday brewing.

It would also not make sense from an economic point of view. Why waste an expensive commodity when there is still something to be squeezed out of it?

In my circles we tend to go not further than three when there are more people and also a larger amount of teas is anticipated for tasting(12+ during one evening). Time is short and tea is plenty of that sort of occasion.
OCTO

Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:43 pm

This is an interesting topic.... hahahaha.....

I would say a predetermined number of steep is good as a set benchmark for tea drinkers to benchmark their brewing skills and tea quality. But moving beyond that, it really boils down to each individual's personal preference. I for one, like to stretch the max out from my tea before calling it quits... a 3 - 5 brew bang to the pallets don't sit well with me.. hahahaha.... often missing the finer complexity and layers that each tea have to offer. I am blessed with most of my tea being able to travel often more than 10 steeps each brew. The size of the pot doesn't really bother me.. though I often lean towards the larger pots.

Cheers!! :D
Baisao

Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:29 am

When it comes to tea in Taiwan and China there is precious little that fits neatly into boxes, even within an era, even within a given region.

A few examples:

* Western tea authorities will say that baozhong is an oolong, but my teacher from Hualien is adamant that baozhong is not an oolong. It’s not unlikely that someone from Taipei would disagree.

* Tieguanyin is not always a varietal but a style.

* Some tea masters are adamant that water should be poured onto the tea nearest the spout, others that it must be in a circular motion around the open.

* Some will only pour water delicately, others fiercely.

* Some will insist that leaves are layered into the pot by order of size, others dismiss this and control the gall in other ways.

* Some wake the tea in a heated, dry pot, yet others don’t or only under certain circumstances.

* Some load the pot to an extreme, others use significantly less leaf.

* Some lift the lid after the tea is poured out, some don’t, others only sometimes.

It goes on and on! No one person can be an authority on these teas and style of tea preparation.

Even in this city there are tea groups who make tea well but go about it differently. If a non-English speaking foreigner was to travel here and document gfc tea preparation in Austin they might come away with a singular, crude impression. This is especially true if they were to visit the more trendy groups where tea is always served with New Age electronica and belly dancers. “In America tea is always served with dancing girls, using tap water filtered through amethyst crystals.”
wave_code

Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:01 am

Baisao wrote:
“In America tea is always served with dancing girls, using tap water filtered through amethyst crystals.”
:lol:
"They also all dress like David Carradine for some reason"

For so many historical accounts/records like this too I think we now know better to keep in mind, but people often didn't at the time particularly those coming from a colonial background to an area, that the context in which we see/experience things is crucial. Are we being served a certain thing in a certain way because we are being treated as a guest, someone to impress, ceremonially/formally, or are we being treated as one would their close friend visiting their home? Also what is the other person's expectation of our knowledge or appreciation. I don't have guests for tea often, but when I do if they aren't a tea drinker I'm not going to serve them incredibly strong tea or something super wet storage- it would be rude and I would be a bad host giving a poor impression of how good tea can be by getting someone uncomfortably over-caffeinated and sending them home with a stomach ache.
Baisao

Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:17 am

wave_code wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:01 am
Baisao wrote:
“In America tea is always served with dancing girls, using tap water filtered through amethyst crystals.”
:lol:
"They also all dress like David Carradine for some reason"

For so many historical accounts/records like this too I think we now know better to keep in mind, but people often didn't at the time particularly those coming from a colonial background to an area, that the context in which we see/experience things is crucial. Are we being served a certain thing in a certain way because we are being treated as a guest, someone to impress, ceremonially/formally, or are we being treated as one would their close friend visiting their home? Also what is the other person's expectation of our knowledge or appreciation. I don't have guests for tea often, but when I do if they aren't a tea drinker I'm not going to serve them incredibly strong tea or something super wet storage- it would be rude and I would be a bad host giving a poor impression of how good tea can be by getting someone uncomfortably over-caffeinated and sending them home with a stomach ache.
Indeed! I also wouldn’t overload visitors with details. I can easily seen how “Formosa oolong” becomes the name for a single type of Taiwanese oolong. Frequently enough someone has asked me what I am preparing and I’ll provide a generic comment such as as “it’s a Taiwanese oolong”. They probably aren’t interested in knowing that it is a seed grown oolong in the Taiwanese TGY style, yet not the TGY varietal, from such and such location so I leave these details out.

Colonialist: What tea are you preparing?

Taiwanese tea drinker preparing a Dongfeng Meiren: Formosa oolong.

Colonialist to his friends and financiers: We need to find and sell this tea called Formosa oolong. It’s in strips, multi-colored, has white buds, and a honey-like flavor.

A trade is born and history (of a sort) is made.
mbanu

Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:15 am

It's important to fight against the alternative, though -- the quest for hidden mysteries, which has always played a part in Orientalism. Oscar Wilde was remarkably insightful about this.
Oscar Wilde wrote:I know that you are fond of Japanese things. Now, do you really imagine that the Japanese people, as they are presented to us in art, have any existence? If you do, you have never understood Japanese art at all. The Japanese people are the deliberate self-conscious creation of certain individual artists. If you set a picture by Hokusai, or Hokkei, or any of the great native painters, beside a real Japanese gentleman or lady, you will see that there is not the slightest resemblance between them. The actual people who live in Japan are not unlike the general run of English people; that is to say, they are extremely commonplace, and have nothing curious or extraordinary about them. In fact the whole of Japan is a pure invention. There is no such country, there are no such people.
Taiwanese tea-art was a self-conscious creation, an attempt to create a new heritage. Part of what it was reacting to was that Taiwan's actual tea-heritage was not really very inspiring, as it was largely a product of international business interests. I think it's possible to be aware of both sides without one competing in mind-space with the other, sort of like how people can enjoy a Renaissance Faire while knowing that life for the ordinary person in the Renaissance was not nearly so glamorous. :)
Bok
Vendor

Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:34 am

mbanu wrote:
. Part of what it was reacting to was that Taiwan's actual tea-heritage was not really very inspiring, as it was largely a product of international business interests.
Where did you get that nonsense from?

Taiwans actual tea heritage stems mainly from Fujian, which also brought over the first non native tea plants… that was when the island was still ruled by the aboriginal non-Chinese tribes. The immigrant settlers had to rent the land and pay tribute to them. Pretty much that way until the Japanese took over.

You can’t just rely on one dimensional Western sources to make such general statements…
mbanu

Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:12 am

Bok wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:34 am
mbanu wrote:
. Part of what it was reacting to was that Taiwan's actual tea-heritage was not really very inspiring, as it was largely a product of international business interests.
Where did you get that nonsense from?

Taiwans actual tea heritage stems mainly from Fujian, which also brought over the first non native tea plants… that was when the island was still ruled by the aboriginal non-Chinese tribes. The immigrant settlers had to rent the land and pay tribute to them. Pretty much that way until the Japanese took over.

You can’t just rely on one dimensional Western sources to make such general statements…
Maybe too strong of a statement. What I mean is that the reason Taiwanese oolong exists is because there was export demand. Even when the tea was being sent to Fujian, it was being blended with the tea from Fujian and then exported, mostly to America. The history of "Formosa oolong" as a separate tea is primarily the history of export teas, whether from British merchants like John Dodd, or Japanese firms like Mitsui. Branching out into non-oolong teas was also mostly about export -- Taiwanese green tea to West Africa, Taiwanese black tea to the U.S. as a copy of the embargoed teas from mainland China, oolong slowly fading away -- Taiwanese tea-art was about reclaiming tea-culture from this largely commercial export situation. I will need to dig through my books to see if I can find a source. The tea-artists acknowledged that there were teahouses in Taiwan before they started their own, but they did not think that they properly showcased Taiwanese tea, because they were really more like cafes. Drawing from the formality of the Japanese tea ceremony, Taiwanese tea-art houses brought the tea a different aesthetic.
Bok
Vendor

Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:53 pm

Tea artist-fartist… that’s the kind of rich tea snobs from the North of Taiwan, descendants of the later arrived Chinese of the KMT and their entourage, who have been looking down on the local Taiwanese population as backwards.

Tea culture is not only found in tea houses, people have been making tea in private and with their family and friends on the streets and in the shops until this day. Without any of the fancy elements of the Taiwanese tea ceremonies later invented, basically just continuing a form of gong fu cha.

As I said this whole statement ignores or maybe will fully pits aside local traditions. Where there are Chinese, there is tea, it’s part of the culture, always.