tea and music

psboston7

Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:58 am

Listening to Indecent Proposal - John Barry Instrumental suite while enjoying a nice cup of Dammann Frères Jardin Bleu is my idea of my soul at peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFOCqZxRDU0
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:45 pm

Solo piano pieces performed by Dinu Lipatti: Straightforward playing by a gifted musician whose recordings sound recorded, not produced. These "pure" & comparatively simple works have proved perfect for my tea sessions. (So far; I just read about this pianist yesterday. The knowledge is my reward for reading threads about teapots in price ranges beyond my ability to buy.) I am thankful for the info & for Spotify which allows me to try new music so easily.
mbanu

Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:36 pm

Maybe fun, a joke song from 1954 when Italy was in the middle of a kombucha fad. :D

An attempt at English lyrics from Tadeusz Zagrabinski, who mentioned the song in a blog-post trying to summarize the history of kombucha in Germany:
Tadeusz Zagrabinski wrote:This Chinese mushroom
It came from Beijing,
inside a vase,
a mysterious thing.
There is no need for medicine anymore.
A mandarin said it
who brought her here.

This mushroom grows, grows, grows inside the vase
and slowly has a baby every month!
When a bride
drinks the infusion
she hears a thing
and says: Hey!

(Choir)
What's this? What's this? What's this? This Chinese mushroom
that grows, grows, grows, grows inside the vase
and slowly enters, enters, enters inside the heart.
My love grows for you!
And your love for me!
With the Chinese mushroom!

Do not take Penicillin, not even Streptomycin (an antibiotic).
Take the mushroom every morning!
But this mushroom is a traitor
like the woman in love,
that if you can't take care of it
It turns its back and leaves!
Victoria
Admin

Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:16 pm

Fantastic, thanks for sharing made my morning more cheerful and peppy 🍃
Baisao

Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:19 pm

Contrary to what I would have expected, my tea is best when I am listening to an unsophisticated genre of music I barely like: stoner metal.

Dead Meadow, Fuzz, Fogg, Goat, etc.

My guess is that I key into the strong baselines and it alters my timing, or makes me more in touch with my timing.

I listen to a lot of other genres and do so more frequently, but this genre is unique in that my tea improves when it is playing.

Kikagaku Moyo has almost the same sound yet no affect on my tea. It’s puzzling.

Anyone else have a surprising genre of music that they feel improves their tea?
Andrew S

Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:34 pm

Baisao wrote:
Contrary to what I would have expected, my tea is best when I am listening to an unsophisticated genre of music I barely like: stoner metal.

Dead Meadow, Fuzz, Fogg, Goat, etc.

My guess is that I key into the strong baselines and it alters my timing, or makes me more in touch with my timing.

I listen to a lot of other genres and do so more frequently, but this genre is unique in that my tea improves when it is playing.

Anyone else have a surprising genre of music that they feel improves their tea?
I am not the most musically-sophisticated or experimentative person, but I have found that an old tea with a powerful qi can work well with music from the psychedelic era for me.

I think they complement each other in terms of the feeling that they can create, a certain kind of calmness, as well as their emphasis on feeling over other considerations.

For me, an old tea is all about the feeling that it gives me, rather than individual flavours or aromas, and, similarly, a lot of music from that era is about the creation of a feeling, rather than a focus on specific lyrics.

Andrew
wave_code

Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:20 am

I also enjoy some good psychedelic music with tea though I'm often more on the kosmische/prog side - Amon Duul, Harmonia, Popol Vuh sort of thing or more modern takes on that. Nothing say do less or slow down like some classic minimalism though- Terry Riley, early Glass, CC Hennix...

was listening to some Japanese free jazz that arrived along with some new teaware form Japan the other day- some Kaoru Abe I hadn't heard before. Probably too squeeky or aggressive for most people's taste, especially for with tea, but I love it. This CD wound up being much more pointalistic and less firey than I was expecting, and his recordings with harmonica and guitar I think I actually like more than his saxophone solo and find them totally haunting
Baisao

Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:19 pm

@Andrew S, I think you are on to something. For better or worse I tend to feel cha qi more than most. Sometimes I disappear into lucidity and it is just the tea and the present. Music helps guide me into that space, especially more psychedelic music like this:

Your notions about psychedelic music have made something else apparent to me. Having thought about it more, I realize that despite being fond of all genres of music, I am most fond of psychedelia from ancient to present. These may be Sufi prayers, Indian ragas, or Spacemen 3 but they are all somewhat psychedelic.

Thank you for the insight.

Another thing that has become obvious is that we are a group of people who love music. It’s not just filler. Music is essential for us. What great company!
mbanu

Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:46 am

A fun oldie from 1931 -- the singer's friends were salty that she prefered to have afternoon tea at The Ritz rather than on the corner with them. :D

ritz-garden.jpg
ritz-garden.jpg (873.49 KiB) Viewed 3153 times

At the time, The Ritz in New York had a "Japanese garden" for having tea outdoors, which must have seemed pretty, well, Ritzy. :)
Bybit
New user

Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:54 am

I really appreciate tea from the "Greenfield" company since they have a lot of flavors. Especially I like "Christmas mystery" and "chocolate toffee". Apart from that, I like to listen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaVmI29 ... OA&index=2 cyberpunk music when I work at home. It is double combination of my preferences
bliss

Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:10 am

Baisao wrote:
Fuzz, ..., Goat, etc.
Interesting that you feel different about Kikagaku Moyo, I tend to put them on more often than the previous these days. Tapping into the more forceful rhythm of the previous bands maybe? Excellent bass playing on a lot of Kikagaku Moyo records though.

I really need to sort out my tea brewing place. Currently brewing in the kitchen, bringing my cup to wherever which is non-ideal since it either makes me stand in the kitchen, or go back and forwards for anything that isn't big pot brewing. Tea and music, yeah, I should make some arrangements for being able to have some brewing space in the living room.
Andrew S wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:34 pm
I have found that an old tea with a powerful qi can work well with music from the psychedelic era for me.

music from that era is about the creation of a feeling, rather than a focus on specific lyrics.
Good tea, good music. Feel, mood, and aesthetics coming together, makes sense to me.
wave_code wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:20 am
I also enjoy some good psychedelic music with tea though I'm often more on the kosmische/prog side - Amon Duul, Harmonia, Popol Vuh sort of thing or more modern takes on that. Nothing say do less or slow down like some classic minimalism though- Terry Riley, early Glass, CC Hennix...

was listening to some Japanese free jazz that arrived along with some new teaware form Japan the other day- some Kaoru Abe I hadn't heard before. Probably too squeeky or aggressive for most people's taste, especially for with tea, but I love it. This CD wound up being much more pointalistic and less firey than I was expecting, and his recordings with harmonica and guitar I think I actually like more than his saxophone solo and find them totally haunting
Yes, yes, and yes. Love kosmische, prog of many countries, and jazz (Japanese jazz is great). Gotta check Kaoru Abe, haven't heard yet.
Baisao wrote:
Andrew S, I think you are on to something. For better or worse I tend to feel cha qi more than most. Sometimes I disappear into lucidity and it is just the tea and the present.

Your notions about psychedelic music have made something else apparent to me. Having thought about it more, I realize that despite being fond of all genres of music, I am most fond of psychedelia from ancient to present. These may be Sufi prayers, Indian ragas, or Spacemen 3 but they are all somewhat psychedelic.

Thank you for the insight.

Another thing that has become obvious is that we are a group of people who love music. It’s not just filler. Music is essential for us. What great company!
Yeah, agree with and resonate with pretty much everything here.

Mood enhancing music and teas is where it's at!
records.and.tea.jpg
records.and.tea.jpg (481.34 KiB) Viewed 3032 times
bliss

Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:46 am

Baisao wrote:
psychedelic music like this:

Thanks for this one Baisao. Hadn't heard, really excellent stuff. I've been putting off digging into Underworld, such a big discography and I haven't always dug everything I've heard in the past. If you have an album recommendation that's solid all the way through, I'm all ears. Will have a listen to the one this track is on.

Btw, I bumped into this album last year. Some incredible mood on this record. The hypnotic string playing on that Underworld track reminded me of it, even though it's quite different of course.

mbanu

Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:02 pm

chicago-tea.jpg
chicago-tea.jpg (673.77 KiB) Viewed 3002 times

A bread-and-butter tea and some Chicago blues from 1947. :D
Baisao

Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:36 am

bliss wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:46 am
Baisao wrote:
psychedelic music like this:

Thanks for this one Baisao. Hadn't heard, really excellent stuff. I've been putting off digging into Underworld, such a big discography and I haven't always dug everything I've heard in the past. If you have an album recommendation that's solid all the way through, I'm all ears. Will have a listen to the one this track is on.

Btw, I bumped into this album last year. Some incredible mood on this record. The hypnotic string playing on that Underworld track reminded me of it, even though it's quite different of course.

That Underworld album may be one of their worst. I’ve been listening to them since ‘dubnobasswithmyheadman’ was released and don’t think they have a single consistent album. I like them a lot but I’ll pick and choose songs depending on my mood. I’m sometimes impressed with the unique assembly of their melodies and stream of consciousness lyrics, like this one:

Thank you for turning me on to Henri Trexier. I dig that sound and will get into his discography during tomorrow’s tea.

I also like listening to Mulatu Astatke while drinking tea but admit it doesn’t assist my tea as much as the previously mentioned psychedelia, nevertheless it assists more than most music.

Cheers!
mbanu

Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:48 am

Madness hamming it up for the camera on Dutch TV in 1980 -- selfie-culture before selfie-culture, changing tastes, changing times. :) Maybe good for drinking up the loose-leaf PG Tips a teashop sent me when they were out of stock of the tea I had ordered. :D