tea and music

mbanu

Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:25 pm

Would have been a good choice when I was trying to coax a decent brew out of a fussy oolong. :lol:
Baisao

Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:56 pm

mbanu wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:25 pm
Would have been a good choice when I was trying to coax a decent brew out of a fussy oolong. :lol:
I don’t think I’ve encountered a fussy oolong, but then I’m not drinking silverfish poop from “oolong” packaged in the 70s and made for sale at Safeway. I can’t imagine anyone successfully coaxing a decent brew from that.

Silk purses from sow’s ear, innit.
wave_code

Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:50 am

@bliss those Texier reissues are really nice. I do wish there was a CD or digital version because I would grab it in a second - I really try and limit what I buy on vinyl at this point given how expensive its become to produce, ship, and how I don't really have space for much more of it :lol: I also feel like its becoming more and more pointless given how we are mostly just making masters and pressing LPs from digital sources at this point, and also most pressings are so overpriced - I feel like 50% of what I do wind up with on vinyl these days just isn't cut or pressed well when I can get a CD for 10-15 bucks and the artist sees the same if not a larger cut from it. Ah well.

Strategy has been a real favorite here over the last couple years. I'd really recommend checking out these two longer pieces. Its hard to describe but while its certainly on the more experimental side there is so much in the sound and production feel of the work that reminds me of back when I was still getting in to electronic music in general and the whole 'electronica' thing was going on where there was less genre specific feel to everything and you pooled influence from all over. Things felt a little more open. Not quite as dark, but it reminds me of picking up all of FSOL's EPs to get the extended and more atmospheric extended versions of the album tracks.

<iframe style="border: 0; width: 100%; height: 120px;" src="https://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/tra ... rent=true/" seamless><a href=" Babbling Brook by Strategy</a></iframe>
<iframe style="border: 0; width: 100%; height: 120px;" src="https://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/alb ... rent=true/" seamless><a href="">Nectar by Strategy</a></iframe>

get your stuff now from independent artists before Epic destroys bandcamp after buying it out and we're left with no good placed to directly support artists anymore :roll:
bliss

Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:26 am

wave_code wrote:
bliss those Texier reissues are really nice. I do wish there was a CD or digital version because I would grab it in a second - I really try and limit what I buy on vinyl at this point given how expensive its become to produce, ship, and how I don't really have space for much more of it :lol: I also feel like its becoming more and more pointless given how we are mostly just making masters and pressing LPs from digital sources at this point, and also most pressings are so overpriced - I feel like 50% of what I do wind up with on vinyl these days just isn't cut or pressed well when I can get a CD for 10-15 bucks and the artist sees the same if not a larger cut from it. Ah well.
Hah, I didn't realize it was a vinyl only reissue. I just picked it up at the Mr Bongo store (I bumped into their store by surprise, I knew of the label, but not their location in Brighton, lol, I'm new here). I guess the vinyl-reissue might be related to heavy legal contracts around the rights? Idk. Anyway, I agree to a large degree about current state of vinyl. I don't like the way things have turned out around it. As long as the master recording is of a higher bitrate and bitdepth I don't think there's much difference to the olden days of tape masters though. Let's not dive into the murky waters of vinyl playback quality though, haha. That said, CD masters or rips put onto vinyl can F* right off. I'm also really annoyed with coloured vinyl (opaque especially). I have an Acid Mothers Tempe record that's half pink and half black. It shows the problem very clearly. Swoooosh - Silent - Swooosh - Silent. Luckily not many people do picture discs. CDs make sense, although I sold off most of my CDs before leaving Sweden, keeping the oddities that didn't have digital releases or were interesting for some other reason. I need some physicality to my music consumption, vinyl has just always been where my treasures have been. Digital I reserve for when I'm on the go, evaluating the never ending stream of interesting stuff on bandcamp.
wave_code wrote:
Strategy has been a real favorite here over the last couple years. I'd really recommend checking out these two longer pieces. Its hard to describe but while its certainly on the more experimental side there is so much in the sound and production feel of the work that reminds me of back when I was still getting in to electronic music in general and the whole 'electronica' thing was going on where there was less genre specific feel to everything and you pooled influence from all over. Things felt a little more open. Not quite as dark, but it reminds me of picking up all of FSOL's EPs to get the extended and more atmospheric extended versions of the album tracks.
Ohh, Strategy is new to me. Good stuff!
wave_code wrote:
get your stuff now from independent artists before Epic destroys bandcamp after buying it out and we're left with no good placed to directly support artists anymore :roll:
Oh no :o
Baisao

Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:37 pm

@bliss, I’m with you on digital to vinyl transfers. Additionally, I haven’t been impressed with streaming (Tidal) compared to CD or vinyl. Sound matters.
mbanu

Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:11 pm

Unexpected and very 80s tea-groove. :D

mbanu

Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:41 am

Surprise cover of "Tea for Two". :D