How to tell if my light oolongs / green teas are going stale?

26uk

Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:40 pm

Oh I mean bags that have opened before by me, is putting in fridge still ok?

I just reroasted an oolong, wow the taste has recovered.

I used this person's instructions. Though other people have mentioned low temp longer time is much better, such as here

Super happy I didn't waste the tea.

Idea came from Victoria for when my oriental beauty went sour.
Victoria
Admin

Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:06 pm

faj wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:03 pm
There is one type of tea I keep in the refrigerator, using it as I need it : matcha. I do not drink much of it, and I have kept good matcha for months in the fridge (in a tightly clipped bag inside a tin), opening it briefly (while cold) to take what I need. I did not feel it lost much (not a matcha expert, though). Maybe I should try keeping sencha in the fridge, taking it out briefly enough that condensation does not have time to form, or even pouring my tea funnel in the fridge to measure the tea.
A heavy matcha drinker here in LA who represents Japanese tea farmers, keeps her matcha canister in the freezer, taking out what she needs and quickly returning to the freezer. She sees no degradation. All I can think of is that the finely ground up leaf contains less moisture than intact leaves.
faj

Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:17 pm

Victoria wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:06 pm
A heavy matcha drinker here in LA who represents Japanese tea farmers, keeps her matcha canister in the freezer, taking out what she needs and quickly returning to the freezer. She sees no degradation.
Thanks a lot for the tip. I will try that, for sure.
26uk

Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:17 pm

Ok roasted my jin xuans and other high mountain oolongs, they taste great now. I feel even better than originally.
Baisao

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:33 pm

I haven't noticed much of any beneficial effect from oxygen absorbers. I am in and out of my bags too frequently for them to be effective.

One thing that might not be immediately obvious is just how quickly they work. I used Mylar bags and oxysorbs when putting up dried goods for multi-decade storage. For example, large Mylar bags filled with rice, a 500ml oxysorb tossed in, and heat sealed would turn into a large brick of rice within 3 days. The oxysorb would essentially draw a vacuum as it scavenged oxygen inside the bag. The rapidity of this astonished me. I expected it to take weeks not a few days.

It's no wonder oxysorbs don't work for tea when I am in and out of bags now that I know how sensitive and quickly they work. I am confident they would work for long term storage, if you had to store a tea for a couple of years.

I would take a multifaceted approach If I wanted to store sencha for a few years: oxysorbs of the appropriate volume, food safe desiccant, in heat-sealed Mylar bags, and stored in the freezer. There's more than oxygen and humidity that could cause the tea to breakdown over time, so freezing it would slow, not stop, the other processes.

I'll stick to inert gases for daily green tea.
JournalerMarie

Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:17 pm

26uk wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:40 pm
Oh I mean bags that have opened before by me, is putting in fridge still ok?

I just reroasted an oolong, wow the taste has recovered.

I used this person's instructions. Though other people have mentioned low temp longer time is much better, such as here

Super happy I didn't waste the tea.

Idea came from Victoria for when my oriental beauty went sour.
Hey I hope it's okay for me to follow up, months later! My light oolongs are getting dull and I want to try to revive them. I'm even thinking of roasting them beyond the refresh, as instructed in the first link. Do you have any advice, having tried it?
Bok
Vendor

Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:38 am

JournalerMarie wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:17 pm
Hey I hope it's okay for me to follow up, months later! My light oolongs are getting dull and I want to try to revive them. I'm even thinking of roasting them beyond the refresh, as instructed in the first link. Do you have any advice, having tried it?
Most important thing is to take it reaaally, really slow. It is easy to overshoot and destroy the tea for good. Patience is key.
JournalerMarie

Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:09 pm

Bok wrote:
Most important thing is to take it reaaally, really slow. It is easy to overshoot and destroy the tea for good. Patience is key.
Oof patience…the most elusive of cooking ingredients.

What would you say is the most advisable way to take is slow for a beginner? Lower temp or longer roast time than recommended? If you have the will and spare time, I would love a recipe. I like the tea enough I do enjoy it as is but I…okay part of me is also interested in tinkering and diy’ing. :D
Baisao

Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:18 pm

JournalerMarie wrote:
Bok wrote:
Oof patience…the most elusive of cooking ingredients.

What would you say is the most advisable way to take is slow for a beginner? Lower temp or longer roast time than recommended? If you have the will and spare time, I would love a recipe. I like the tea enough I do enjoy it as is but I…okay part of me is also interested in tinkering and diy’ing. :D
A wire tray like a splatter screen might help reduce hot spots. To get that shou flavor just roast it over a sheet pan of fish sticks.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:11 pm

JournalerMarie wrote:
What would you say is the most advisable way to take is slow for a beginner? Lower temp
Yes, low temp. Not to forget that tea needs to rest a bit after a roast, too much "fire" in it otherwise.

There are no recipes, each tea and its current state of age and storage is different – as are a persons preferences on how they like their tea. Takes trial and error to find your personal ideal result.
miig

Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:13 am

26uk wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:32 pm
Oh man, thanks guys for the feedback. Sounds like a month might have changed them sufficiently that I'm not really enjoying them.
Hmm.. I wouldn't say that. In my experience, this works a bit like a hyperbolic function - quick losses in the beginning, but then it slows down. And quite a lot remains, I'd say. I mean yeah, if you want them super fresh, and super fresh only, things are going to be technically difficult. But if you open a supergreen oolong, I'd say, it maybe loses 15% of it's aroma in the first week, but then takes a month to lose the next 15%.

I'm merely inventing numbers here obviously, but my point is, if you close the package, store it cool etc, then after a month, or even three or four months, the tea still will be very drinkable and nowhere near as stale that one had to say "it's gone". So try them , and don't be too discouraged - I believe you'll find them quite drinkeable, even though their absolute peak does vanish quickly.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:36 pm

Really depends on the quality of the tea though. I have green oolongs one my fridge (sealed), which remain fresh and very good for over two years. Lower quality will fade faster. Good one not so much.
miig

Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:44 am

@BokYes, absolutely, there will be a lot of variation. Quality is one, and I believe roasting/baking also stabilizes tea a lot. Even if a very slight touch of a roast will make teas much less fragile. I mean things like mountain oolongs and longjing which are still pretty green. And certainly there will be other factors that play into this as well. If one lives in a rather humid and warm climate i'd expect teas to lose their freshness quicker as well.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:54 am

miig wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:44 am
. If one lives in a rather humid and warm climate i'd expect teas to lose their freshness quicker as well.
Not so sure about that… Taiwan is pretty hot and humid and on the contrary I notice a deterioration much faster in dry and cold climates. Or maybe it’s to do with that a certain level humidity is beneficial to smell more than with a “dry nose”. I remember reading an article about this somewhere, forgot where that was.

Mold is an issue though for sure. Storage can be be tricky.
miig

Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:22 am

Totally possible @Bok. I speculated and might as well be wrong - I'm in a dry coldish climate, so I wouldn't know first hand.