Tea and Health

thomas.vankeulen

Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:49 pm

Hi all!
I'm a nutrition student and for that reason I am also interested in the health properties of infusions.
I thought it could be interesting to start a thread regarding a more scientific topic.
I'm certainly not an expert on tea or anything as my course focuses on foods. However, if requested I can either promptly answer you from my budding knowledge in this area or research viable and scientifically correct information if I am unsure of the most accurate response.
In some cases the data is a bit unclear and ambiguous, please bear in mind that science is never ultimately conclusive. What I mean with this is that new data and information is always emerging and thus the readily available information is never the absolut truth and rather the current version of what most resembles the absolute truth.

Finally, please feel free to post any answers/curiosities.
I hope I can answer some interesting queries and also expand my knowledge!

Cheers
cbrace

Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:40 am

Interesting topic, thanks for starting it. Just wondering: are you studying Chinese Traditional Medicine (TCM)?
harrison1986

Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:58 am

I found a meta analysis of observational studies that shows a 37% reduced risk of depression at 3 cups a day:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25657295/

I can also tell you from personal experience that this is true. I started drinking green tea just for pleasure, and noticed this side effect as well.