My Favourite Teas are Pu'Er and...

Noonie

Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:14 pm

Thought it would be interesting to hear what are people's favourite teas, in addition to Pu'er, assuming that is of course a favourite (not an occasional tea).

I've found one thing certain with tea, my preferences change over time! So I can say something now, but months from now...or years I may have a different view.

With that said, in addition to Pu'er my 'other' favourite is Sencha. I would put them both at a tie for first place. In fact, Shou, Sheng and Sencha are in a 3-way tie for first. I guess the tea has to start with an 'S' to get considered :P

Favourites early on in my tea journey included Darjeeling and High Mountain Oolong, with Matcha making an appearance for 6 months or so. I've also had a lot of Wuyi and Dancong over the years but never a favourite of mine.

Lately I've been gravitating away from teas with mineral taste profiles. Never know what the future will hold though!
cbrace

Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:53 pm

...Darjeeling. This year I've really been enjoying various Rohini Darjeeling. Not only the First Flush but also a Second Flush as well as some experimental oolongs and an autumn pluck as well.
pase22

Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:25 pm

Oolong and Daerjeeling are my favorite to get through the day, but I really like a strong Irish breakfast Assam as my wake up brew. I like to finish off with a nice white tea in the evening. My absolute favorite thus far is Darjeeling with Oolong not far behind. I don't particularly dislike green tea, but It's not a must have in my pantry.
TeaTotaling

Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:08 am

Finer teas with power and punch 🥊 💥 🥊 Variety is the spice of life.

I have most styles in my stash, and I enjoy all of them on a rotating basis.

Recently, I have been drinking Aged and Shou PE, Wuyi, Gyokuro, Oolong’s both greener and darker, and single-origin coffee......whoopsie! 🃏
Last edited by TeaTotaling on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Iizuki

Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:19 am

...Dianhong and low-roast Yancha. Both fitting into "sweet and smooth" category. Ohh well, most of my puers fit into this category as well :D
Tetsubin

Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:42 am

Dan Cong and Yancha, tasty stuff 😋
debunix

Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:28 am

My favorite start to the morning is a Japanese green--asamushi sencha, gyokuro, or matcha.

My favorite hot afternoon chilled sparkling sencha (it's going to be 90 degrees today, need to set some up for later) is a highly oxidized fruity & spicy oolong, like Norbu's Red Alishan, a Korean Balhyocha, or Lala Shan from Floating Leaves.

My favorite grandpa style relaxed sipper is usually a lightly oxidized ('green') Taiwanese mountain oolong.

When I have time to really enjoy the nuances and infusion-to-infusion changes, there's nothing lovelier than a fine Dan Cong, or a sheng puerh.

Other times I enjoy a variety of whole-leaf black teas, light roast/green style and traditional roast oolongs, sheng and shu puerhs, white teas, greens from all over, herbal and spicy mixes I prepare myself, etc. I love variety and don't have a favorite 'chilly afternoon' or 'last of the evening' tea.

I'm still trying to recapture a peak tea experience with some very fresh Gu Zhu Zi Sun from Norbu years ago, and several different harvests and suppliers later, it's still an elusive target. I wish I knew what the key was to those amazing sessions with that superb tea.
StoneLadle

Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:30 am

debunix wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:28 am
My favorite start to the morning is a Japanese green--asamushi sencha, gyokuro, or matcha.

My favorite hot afternoon chilled sparkling sencha (it's going to be 90 degrees today, need to set some up for later) is a highly oxidized fruity & spicy oolong, like Norbu's Red Alishan, a Korean Balhyocha, or Lala Shan from Floating Leaves.

My favorite grandpa style relaxed sipper is usually a lightly oxidized ('green') Taiwanese mountain oolong.

When I have time to really enjoy the nuances and infusion-to-infusion changes, there's nothing lovelier than a fine Dan Cong, or a sheng puerh.

Other times I enjoy a variety of whole-leaf black teas, light roast/green style and traditional roast oolongs, sheng and shu puerhs, white teas, greens from all over, herbal and spicy mixes I prepare myself, etc. I love variety and don't have a favorite 'chilly afternoon' or 'last of the evening' tea.

I'm still trying to recapture a peak tea experience with some very fresh Gu Zhu Zi Sun from Norbu years ago, and several different harvests and suppliers later, it's still an elusive target. I wish I knew what the key was to those amazing sessions with that superb tea.
The depth and nuance with which you approach tea... I stand, doff my hat, and applaud, with a bow!
thommes

Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:00 pm

My favorite teas are puer and more puer. Actually started getting into heichas, fuzhuans specifically.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:31 pm

Tetsubin wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:42 am
Dan Cong and Yancha, tasty stuff 😋
Second that, just skip the Puerh hahah
pedant
Admin

Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:44 pm

i like good examples of any style.

but if you really make me pick... i guess aged sheng, yancha, and dancong.
Victoria
Admin

Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:24 am

I do really enjoy sharing Sheng with tea pals 🍃 ...sigh that will have to wait. Alone sessions are getting to be slightly not as exciting as before. I do also miss sharing the wide variety to teas and interests with our local tea group. My got-to’s otherwise are high quality charcoal roasted DongDing, Sencha, Gyokuro, Yancha, Gaoshan, then Darjeeling (favorite 1st flush white :) ) . Probably forgot something...
Slurp

Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:01 pm

fukamushicha and chumushicha.
bum

Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:50 pm

yancha, and HMO
pase22

Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:40 am

I've been experimenting with every type of tea from white to puer to black varieties. I tend to favor black teas like Keemum, Nilgiri, Assam and of course my favorite Darjeeling. I attempted to make my own blends and the one I keep going back to (with some quantity adjustments along the way) again and again is a blend Nilgiri + Darjeeling teas. I do enjoy a good Oolong or puer after a long day though. My tastes may change in the future.