Is studying tea history of any value?

Tillerman
Vendor

Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:39 am

The author of a recent tea publication began with the note that they would be dealing only in the science of tea. No history, no culture. Is studying the history of teas, tea regions and cultures of any value? If so, what is that value?
Bok
Vendor

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:23 am

I would say it can always have a personal value. I for one like to add that dimension to anything I am interested in. Always good to know where things come from and why they might be the way they are. It can sometimes give you a little extra to the personal tea experience. Why do some people enjoy using antique teapots and porcelain? Or purchasing the one tea that is still done the same laborious way it has been done centuries ago? Etc. ...

It is not of value per se, but it can be.
As any value really. Depends who is looking at it from what angle and why.

If you wanted to venture deeper into philosophy: Is there any value at all?
Tillerman
Vendor

Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:14 pm

Bok wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:23 am
I would say it can always have a personal value. I for one like to add that dimension to anything I am interested in. Always good to know where things come from and why they might be the way they are. It can sometimes give you a little extra to the personal tea experience. Why do some people enjoy using antique teapots and porcelain? Or purchasing the one tea that is still done the same laborious way it has been done centuries ago? Etc. ...

It is not of value per se, but it can be.
As any value really. Depends who is looking at it from what angle and why.

If you wanted to venture deeper into philosophy: Is there any value at all?
But first, what is value? We need to know what it means before we determine if it exists. What's a unicorn?
teaformeplease

Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:17 pm

I definitely do think that studying the history of tea provides value. At the same time, I can understand why the author elected to not cover those topics. There are many books about tea that repeat the same "facts" as every book that came before it (the legend of Shen Nong, etc.). Diving deeper into the science of tea was something I very much appreciated. It also helps to skip the uncomfortable orientalism that often accompanies writings about tea.
Elise

Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:24 am

teaformeplease wrote:
I definitely do think that studying the history of tea provides value. At the same time, I can understand why the author elected to not cover those topics. There are many books about tea that repeat the same "facts" as every book that came before it (the legend of Shen Nong, etc.). Diving deeper into the science of tea was something I very much appreciated. It also helps to skip the uncomfortable orientalism that often accompanies writings about tea.
I absolutely agree with that.
Tillerman
Vendor

Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:57 pm

Elise wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:24 am
teaformeplease wrote:
I absolutely agree with that.
I too agree with that (and there was no implied criticism of Tony's excellent book.) But I'm not speaking of the repetition of faux "facts" and legends, nor, God forfend, of the "woo-woo" approach found in far too many books. Rather, I speak of solid historical studies such as those produced by Lawrence Zhang, for example. Are these of any use? Do they add to the appreciation of tea? Or is what each of us finds in the cup sufficient?
Bok
Vendor

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Tillerman wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:57 pm
Are these of any use? Do they add to the appreciation of tea? Or is what each of us finds in the cup sufficient?
It is personal. They might something for some, for others it won’t.
Although I appreciate the historical background, if the tea doesn‘t match the legend, I prefer the better tea!
Elise

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:46 am

Yes, I believe that it is a very personal matter. Being a researcher about tea ceramics, I have to go deep in the historical part of it and I just couldn't imagine not doing it. It, for sure, brings a lot to my research, but I am not sure it does bring something to my appreciation of the taste of tea ;)
GoldenTea
New user

Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:17 am

Yes, for me it is a huge value, but not the old history, more the modern history. If you study tea over the last 50 years, you learn about the markets, the varietals, the new regions, changes in processing styles, etc. It's interesting once or twice to learn about the opium wars and British bringing var. sinensis to Darjeeling, but it is far more informative and fascinating to learn about the development of varietals, why they were developed, how they are processed, terroir, etc. Or the modern history of puer, etc.