How to treat unpleasant tea high?

Baisao

Thu May 07, 2020 1:15 pm

Thank you for all the suggestions. I think we are starting to see a pattern in what helps with tea that is too energetic. I am curious what people do for teas that are too dopey.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

One thought I had after this experience with maocha is that the feeling felt nearly identical to having too much ephedrine: creepy-crawling sensations, especially across the scalp; improved breathing (conspicuous lack of congestion at a time when I was having sinus and respiratory allergies); time it took to come down exceeded what is normal for the metabolization of caffeine.

Considering that the tea is grown in an environment that is hostile to the plant, the plant will develop various phytochemicals to protect itself from insects, fungi, etc. We know that plants can produce ephedrine, Ephedra spp.

The Camellia spp. in Yunnan may not be specifically producing ephedrine but the effects are similar and we know that the chemical can be produced by plants.

I'd like to know of a way to test this hypothesis.
carogust

Thu May 07, 2020 3:00 pm

For me, unaged gushu/wild pu-erh nowadays gives me a feeling like my nose is going to start bleeding. Ephedrine should induce vasoconstriction (aka narrowing of blood vessels), so the connection might be plausible.

Starting to question if that stuff is healthy to drink at all or if my resistance to such things has just become below average. Leaning on the side of body constitution/diet/whatever giving people resistance because let's not forget those who chug multiple young pu-erhs in a session without any ill effects...
carogust

Thu May 07, 2020 3:01 pm

So in short: To be on the safe side, maybe drink pu-erh after a meal (or eat right after).
Bok
Vendor

Thu May 07, 2020 7:51 pm

Or, don’t drink young Sheng! :mrgreen:
Baisao

Thu May 07, 2020 8:55 pm

Bok wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:51 pm
Or, don’t drink young Sheng! :mrgreen:
Or in my case: take a second to look at the leaves to see whether it’s young sheng/maocha instead of what the label said.
Webley

Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:38 am

Gatorade! Eat like there’s no tomorrow too. Enjoy the ride. 🤯