How to treat unpleasant tea high?

Baisao

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:28 pm

I am posting this hoping that people will have ideas that will be helpful to others having an unpleasant episode of tea intoxication.

It’s no secret that I am wired differently and feel cha qi stronger than most. Perhaps it’s because I don’t drink or smoke and haven’t in ages. In the parlance of my youth: I am straight edge.

I had a mislabeled tea earlier this evening. It was a new bai mudan. I should have noticed something was amiss when I kept seeing huge fuzzy buds. It turns out to essentially be maocha. Unaged sheng or maocha wires me up terribly so I avoid it.

I had have a liter of this “bai mudan” and and I am still wired. I have a creepy crawling sensation all over my jittery, twitchy, electrified body. It’s like I took a ton of albuterol.

It’s been 4 hours so it’s more than caffeine.

Without layering on other intoxicants: how do you deal with unpleasant tea intoxication?
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:34 pm

Eat. Get a little bit of quick energy & then follow with food that cleanses (fiber, roughage).
pantry

Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:56 pm

I, too, often get wired up in an unpleasant way. More so from Oolong than others. Drink lots of water and exercise or sleep it off are how I cope, though I can do more on the exercising front.
Baisao

Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:45 pm

I was told tonight by someone who does marathon sessions of unaged sheng that I needed to drink lots of water, eat something (especially protein), shower, and then take a macro dose of vitamin C. In that order.

I took their advice (also adding some roughage, @Ethan Kurland) and can say that it took the edge off but I still have the creepy crawling sensation across my scalp and limbs. More than anything if helped with the tummy ache I always get with maocha. Also, the tiny cramping all over has stopped. I feel like I’ll be able to go to sleep later.
Bok
Vendor

Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:13 am

@Baisao why someone would do marathons of unaged Sheng is beyond me... self harm tendencies? :)
carogust

Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:44 am

Sometimes taking extra electrolytes (can be straight up salt...) helps me, but more with a certain lethargic feeling.
Baisao

Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:22 am

Bok wrote:
Baisao why someone would do marathons of unaged Sheng is beyond me... self harm tendencies? :)
Yeah, that’s a strange bunch of masochists. Most have this look:
Attachments
42FC0099-D347-40A0-9F49-1C4443A688DD.jpeg
42FC0099-D347-40A0-9F49-1C4443A688DD.jpeg (732.13 KiB) Viewed 5493 times
Balthazar

Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:22 am

Brilliant. I've definitely had some young sheng that's made me feel as lost as a Klaus Kinski character (or the person himself, hard as it supposedly was to distinguish what was acting and what was real with him).

I definitely don't envy vendors who travel around the villages of Yunnan for weeks on end and try out 10+ maochas a day :)

To add to the topic, as another person very sensitive to certain teas (young sheng in particular) I too have found food to be the most helpful cure. Carbohydrates, which I normally try to limit my intake of, seem to be particularly helpful for me. Having had a large meal earlier in the day seems to reduce the likelihood of having a very unpleasant "high", and for this reason I rarely drink young sheng before I've had lunch or dinner.
Tor

Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:24 am

You can try having a really good qi tea, preferrable aged puer. I usually found a good chaqi tea could more or less clean up any bad qi that I had before.
OCTO

Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:18 am

I usually have a mug of hot cocoa.
.m.

Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:46 am

Baisao wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:22 am
Bok wrote:
Baisao why someone would do marathons of unaged Sheng is beyond me... self harm tendencies? :)
Yeah, that’s a strange bunch of masochists. Most have this look:
Lol. :lol:
(That is a great movie.)
thetealetter

Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:44 am

Spiked by a white tea. Man, I hate that feeling.

I'm a sensitive person as well and I have psoriasis to boot. The skin on my face and scalp sometimes feels itchy like it's crawling when I'm over-tuned like that. Brrr.

Eating helps, as the folks have generally said. For me it's either carbs (rice crackers, usually) or protein. Water as well. Sometimes I just need to rest and do nothing for a bit to calm my nervous system down.
d.manuk

Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:03 pm

There are a lot of herbs that could help alleviate some of the symptoms: ginger, burdock root, marshmallow root, lemon balm, milky oats are some that come to mind.
Admar
Vendor

Wed May 06, 2020 10:41 am

For me personally, a hearty meal helps. It could still be the caffeine as not everyone processes it in the same way. I've done some genetic testing and found that my breakdown of caffeine is slower than normal.
wave_code

Wed May 06, 2020 3:30 pm

as others said eating something. maybe something with a small bit of sugars in it like candied ginger, along with something a little hearty or starchy. if its the caffeine maybe having something with some fat or dairy if you eat dairy in it could help slow the caffeine absorption a bit, slow things down.

I've had a couple of nasty teas where it kinda crept out of nowhere and really all I could do was lay down on the couch for a few minutes and just try and relax and let it pass for a minute like finding suddenly you got way too stoned. but other times having something like mindless busy work helped, giving the mind something simple to focus on/be distracted by and some physical activity to also get the energy out - weed the garden if you have one or doing the dishes or sweeping the apartment. it can help prevent you from falling into some sort of mind/body feedback loop where you become so focused on the unpleasant feeling it lingers on long after the actually effect might be over.