Darjeeling First Flush 2020

Victoria
Admin

Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:23 pm

It seems that sadly very limited production of First Flush Darjeeling will be available in 2020. According to sources in the industry, very few gardens in Darjeeling (Assam and Nigili as well) were picked in time for this years First Flush production which is typically from March to mid-April. This is a result of the government imposing a country wide 21 day lockdown on March 24th, due to COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) outbreak. I understand shipping is also affected during this time.

Anyone heard similar reports coming out of India?

From Thunderbolt Teas
2020 First Flush Darjeeling: We have been able to procure only a few of 2020 Darjeeling First Flush teas and we hope that you will like it. As the world faces a daunting task to wade through these difficult times, we pray for your safety and good health. We could only procure a few because the tea gardens were locked down recently. For the tea garden workers and Darjeeling as a whole, luckily, there has been no infection till date as we write (March 26). All teas are 100% safe and we won't be buying any more teas later. Kindly go through the teas labeled as "New 2020" and grab your shares.
Please share any First Flush Darjeeling you were able to get.
Noonie

Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:02 pm

Victoria wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:23 pm
It seems that sadly very limited production of First Flush Darjeeling will be available in 2020. According to sources in the industry, very few gardens in Darjeeling (Assam and Nigili as well) were picked in time for this years First Flush production which is typically from March to mid-April. This is a result of the government imposing a country wide 21 day lockdown on March 24th, due to COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) outbreak. I understand shipping is also affected during this time.

Anyone heard similar reports coming out of India?

From Thunderbolt Teas
2020 First Flush Darjeeling: We have been able to procure only a few of 2020 Darjeeling First Flush teas and we hope that you will like it. As the world faces a daunting task to wade through these difficult times, we pray for your safety and good health. We could only procure a few because the tea gardens were locked down recently. For the tea garden workers and Darjeeling as a whole, luckily, there has been no infection till date as we write (March 26). All teas are 100% safe and we won't be buying any more teas later. Kindly go through the teas labeled as "New 2020" and grab your shares.
Please share any First Flush Darjeeling you were able to get.
Kevin at Camellia SInensis in Montreal is very knowledgeable about Darjeeling tea. I'm sure he would respond if you e-mail him with some questions. And they typically have quite nice Darjeeling...I had four types from 2019 (first and second flush) and enjoyed all of them.
davidmarkglass

Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:04 pm

I purchased Millikthong first flush Darjeeling 2020 from Dobra Tea in Burlington VT. It's a classic first flush tea: very light and layered with different flavors. It's one of the best I've had in a few years. If you order some on line, save a little for me and Victoria.
Victoria
Admin

Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:20 pm

Another article regarding scarcity of First and Second flush Darjeeling in 2020 due to nationwide lock-down, and how that sector is still suffering from 2017 labor strikes.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... s?from=mdr