United States ISC (USPS)

DailyTX

Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:24 pm

Hi All,

I am curious if any member ordered tea from China recently, and the Shipment stuck at ISC New York (usps) for close to a month? My shipment arrived at New York ISC on 2/6/2020, and tracking went dead. I appreciate any insight!

Thanks,

Dailytx
mrmopu

Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:29 pm

Had the same thing happen. Stuck there went to Jamaica sort center for another 11 days and 33 days in I got my package. New York is horrible. I am on the east coast and get stuff from San Fran sort center a whole lot quicker even though it is on the west coast.
DailyTX

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:42 pm

mrmopu wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:29 pm
Had the same thing happen. Stuck there went to Jamaica sort center for another 11 days and 33 days in I got my package. New York is horrible. I am on the east coast and get stuff from San Fran sort center a whole lot quicker even though it is on the west coast.
That’s a little hopeful that it’s not in a black hole. I had similar experience going through Los Angeles once but the longest was about 2-3 weeks.
mrmopu

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:05 pm

I shipped a package to La the 29th of January. It went straight to La, stayed 18 days. Got sent to Kansas City and then Des Moines Iowa. Got delivered 5 days after it left Des Moines. I don't know how they make enough to made the business operations profitable with stuff like that going on.
DailyTX

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:24 pm

mrmopu wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:05 pm
I shipped a package to La the 29th of January. It went straight to La, stayed 18 days. Got sent to Kansas City and then Des Moines Iowa. Got delivered 5 days after it left Des Moines. I don't know how they make enough to made the business operations profitable with stuff like that going on.
I don’t think usps is profitable. It’s an old system that can no longer keep up with companies like ups and fedex
faj

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:37 am

DailyTX wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:24 pm
I don’t think usps is profitable. It’s an old system that can no longer keep up with companies like ups and fedex
I live in Canada, where for many years we were hearing similar things about our national post service. I could not tell you exactly what they did, but there was quite a lot of talk about turning things around, and in the last few years they have re-aligned themselves with parcel delivery in mind and displaced other delivery services. Everything I receive from Amazon Prime comes through Canada Post now, so that says something. I do not know how they are doing financially, but we are no longer hearing about their business crumbling or mounting losses being incurred in the news. It is possible for leadership to turn things around in huge organizations like these, which may have outdated business models, but also typically have incredible infrastructure they can leverage with a bit of creativity.

By the way, everything I have ordered (with tracking) from Asia or the US West Coast has gone through British Columbia first. It typically takes about 3-4 days to get to BC, then 4-6 days from BC to reach Eastern Canada. Shipments without tracking from oversees Amazon vendors are a different story, of course.
brutusK

Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:14 am

Customs at NY is an absolute nightmare. Like half the packages I get coming through there get held up from 4-6 weeks. Last thing I ordered (a teapot) was on black friday in the US (end of November), and things were totally silent from NY Customs from December 8th until January 31st. What a joke they are. Jealous of those on the West coast of the US, I've never had any issue with packages going through SF Customs.
Janice

Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:45 am

I’ve had the opposite experience with east coast vs west coast. All my packages from Japan go through NY and usually they spend a day in customs and then they’re sorted and off to the post office in a day or two. Packages from China that go through the west coast usually disappear into a black hole in China before heading to LA or SF. I did once have a problem with a tea tray disappearing in SF.

China shipments were so problematic that I had stopped ordering green tea from Chinese based tea sellers. I joined the EOT Tea Club as of January and their packages ship from China. It’s generally aged tea so spending a month in a storeroom in China wouldn’t be a problem but actually hasn’t happened yet.
doomslayer

Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:10 am

DailyTX wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:24 pm
Hi All,

I am curious if any member ordered tea from China recently, and the Shipment stuck at ISC New York (usps) for close to a month? My shipment arrived at New York ISC on 2/6/2020, and tracking went dead. I appreciate any insight!

Thanks,

Dailytx
While I haven't ordered anything recently, when I lived in NJ/NYC, this was a pretty normal experience - it would get stuck forever there and then I would suddenly receive it when I almost started to forget about my order. They also lost my packages several times and I never received a word.