Pesticides: Are Chinese and Indian teas safe to drink?

greengaiwan

Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:00 pm

This is disturbing. I like the idea of testing new tea with any remainder one has in stock. I reordered my favorite oolong and the dry leaf smelled different to me. But I brewed it next to the remaining stock I had and it was just as delicious. Thanks for all the info!
greengaiwan

Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:01 am

belewfripp wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:00 am
greengaiwan wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:36 pm
"The study, published on Wednesday in the International Journal of Cancer, found that people who drank more than three cups of tea at a temperature over 140 degrees increased their risk of developing squamous cell esophageal cancer by about 90 percent."
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/esophagea ... %20percent.
Thanks for posting this - as someone who had an endoscopy last year with "less than great" (but not cancerous or pre-cancerous) findings, I'm glad to know this. Generally-speaking, I do also hate consuming things that are too hot and am somewhat amazed by those who do. A couple of decades ago when I worked at a pizza place in the southern U.S., we had customers who would start eating their pizza as soon as it came out of the oven. Maybe my tongue is just weak but I don't know how you do that and not burn your mouth.
Oof, I don't understand that either. Yeah I don't like things too hot! There are many carcinogenic things but temperature at least is one we have a lot of control over. Good luck on future endoscopies, glad you got checked out : )
aet
Vendor

Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:40 am

" A couple of decades ago when I worked at a pizza place in the southern U.S., we had customers who would start eating their pizza as soon as it came out of the oven. Maybe my tongue is just weak but I don't know how you do that and not burn your mouth. " ;-DDD

Should see Chinese slurping their noodles ( I can't do like my wife coz too hot ) and go for hot tea later ;-D
Bok
Vendor

Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:54 am

and again: https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202106150010
Shipment of tea exceeding pesticide limits seized by TW customs.
wave_code

Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:57 am

I had started looking in to this a bit but sort of got distracted and should go back to it... while a large importer we would hope if they have suspicions would test their teas themselves or get better suppliers... but I was starting to look into what it would actually cost to send tea in for pesticide testing here in Germany or to a lab elsewhere in Europe. If the prices aren't too high I can see how one might want to consider doing it themselves if they found something they were planning to buy in large quantity, like a tong or two of pu, but had suspicions about. while most of us here tend to avoid suppliers we wouldn't trust, sometimes you never know, especially if you are buying older teas that might not be old enough to predate raised prices and therefore increased pesticide use. with things like mini/hobby level PCR machines existing now I wonder how difficult it would be for us to test for at least the most common pesticide compounds ourselves in the near future - make sure that qi is from the leaf and not from something sprayed on it!