Is it possible to have caffeine free GABA tea?

precisiontea

Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:58 pm

I am caffeine sensitive and struggling with the GABA tea I purchased from a specialty store.. they said it has to have caffeine for it to be GABA. Is there any source or way I can use to eliminate the caffeine, or have it caffeine free?
Tillerman
Vendor

Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:08 pm

Whoever told you GABA tea does not have caffeine is sorely mistaken. The method of production for GABA tea is unique but caffeine does not degrade in processing. Caffeine levels in tea are a function of many things (location of leaf on the plant, time of harvest etc, etc.) but for the tea to be decaffeinated, it must be treated to different processes (ethyl acetate or CO2.) "Decaffeination" does not remove all of the caffeine in tea (or coffee) but it reduces it substantially. The only way to have no caffeine is to drink brews that are made from plants that do not contain caffeine.
precisiontea

Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:17 pm

Tillerman wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:08 pm
Whoever told you GABA tea does not have caffeine is sorely mistaken. The method of production for GABA tea is unique but caffeine does not degrade in processing. Caffeine levels in tea are a function of many things (location of leaf on the plant, time of harvest etc, etc.) but for the tea to be decaffeinated, it must be treated to different processes (ethyl acetate or CO2.) "Decaffeination" does not remove all of the caffeine in tea (or coffee) but it reduces it substantially. The only way to have no caffeine is to drink brews that are made from plants that do not contain caffeine.
I think you misread the OP... I am looking for caffeine free GABA tea, but the owner of a tea shop told me in order for it to be GABA tea it has to have caffeine. And all varieties I've looked at have caffeine.
Tillerman
Vendor

Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:54 pm

Sorry, I did misread the OP. There is no decaffeinated GABA that I am aware of. Sorry.
pedant
Admin

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:00 am

decaffeinated tea and GABA tea are both specialty products. their intersection is probably too niche.
also, i suspect that decaffeination would remove GABA, but i don't know for certain. i wonder if that's what the store was trying to say.

it may be more helpful if you explain what you're really looking for and why. the decaffeinated part i understand; you said you're caffeine sensitive.
but why are you looking for GABA tea specifically?
Bok
Vendor

Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:57 am

If you want something less irritating in terms of caffeine, aged tea is probably a better thing to try?
Victoria
Admin

Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:29 am

I just noticed Nicky Evers has a ‘ GABA 'sleepytime' tea, charcoal roast’. You might ask him directly about it.
https://www.steadyhandtea.com/price-list/
precisiontea

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:22 am

pedant wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:00 am
decaffeinated tea and GABA tea are both specialty products. their intersection is probably too niche.
also, i suspect that decaffeination would remove GABA, but i don't know for certain. i wonder if that's what the store was trying to say.

it may be more helpful if you explain what you're really looking for and why. the decaffeinated part i understand; you said you're caffeine sensitive.
but why are you looking for GABA tea specifically?
It has a combination of elements that work for me in supplement form, but I prefer taking it in via tea. It also does well for me in the sprouted rice form which has a high level of GABA. I also feel like caffeine has the opposite effect of the benefits it provides me.
precisiontea

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:22 am

Victoria wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:29 am
I just noticed Nicky Evers has a ‘ GABA 'sleepytime' tea, charcoal roast’. You might ask him directly about it.
https://www.steadyhandtea.com/price-list/
Thank you, I will look into this.