Simplicity deferred

rdl

Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:01 pm

"Who is rich? One who is satisfied with his lot."
That's simplicity. That's difficult. Maybe out of my reach. There is essence, there is the weight of gravity over time to reduce capability. Does simpleness come to us or can we arrive at it? It seems to be that with effort and preparation, fully orchestrated, the semblance of simplicity is found. Just how many layers will you allow before the feeling of things being simple is eliminated?
These thoughts began when I somehow came upon the vision of a new school of tea. The art of dropping a few leaves in a bowl of hot water.
Something like the paleo diet; is my thinking so very far fetched?
Bok
Vendor

Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:39 pm

rdl wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:01 pm
These thoughts began when I somehow came upon the vision of a new school of tea. The art of dropping a few leaves in a bowl of hot water.
Something like the paleo diet; is my thinking so very far fetched?
This pretty much sums up what the Global Tea Hut group/sect is doing (in theory). Although the whole simplicity gets diluted by embedding it in meditation, group-wearing old-chinese-man's clothing. So a good thought, but in my opinion made complicated again.
Last edited by Bok on Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bok
Vendor

Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:49 pm

In reference to your original musings and for convenience, here is what I had said about it:
from my experience it takes a while of dabbling in the opposite to realise what simplicity means. It’s difficult to look for it purposely, I think it’s a process rather than something that can be forced. At least if we’re talking about reducing to the essential, without compromising the essence - which for me still is the taste of the tea.
Bok
Vendor

Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:55 pm

Which brings me to your thought of dropping a few leaves in a bowl with hot water. Simple? Yes.
Bringing out the best in the tea? Depends and in the majority of cases, unlikely.
Or otherwise said, to make good tea in a bowl is anything but simple.
rdl

Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:56 pm

Bok,
I neglected to mention this point of yours, thank you for reminding me:
"takes a while of dabbling in the opposite to realise what simplicity means."
But it works out because as you also write:
"to make good tea in a bowl is anything but simple."
That's the very complexity of it. You're saying go the opposite direction of simplicity and eventually you'll arrive there, but to simply make a cup of tea, you're bound to miss the target.
I'll just add when I read of some journeying to achieve the best, purchase the best, match the best, and the joys and pitfalls of that quest, without placing a judgement on this, I think that is what might trigger a re-evaluation of simplicity.
Bok
Vendor

Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:09 pm

rdl wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:56 pm
That's the very complexity of it. You're saying go the opposite direction of simplicity and eventually you'll arrive there, but to simply make a cup of tea, you're bound to miss the target.
that is a very good summary :)

I kind of borrowed this concept from daoism (the basic philosophy, not the religion!), as applied to the martial arts. Anything you want to do, you need to first seek out the opposite extreme in order to reach your goal.

Back to tea: If I want to know what is the best tea, how can I know, unless I know what bad tea is? Good without bad doesn't exist. Simplicity is the absence of complexity.
Baisao

Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:15 pm

Hmmm. My thoughts on tea generally eschew dogmatic formulas and encourages adaptation through mastery. There’s a certain simplicity in having your hand know when to pour before you’re consciously aware of it. There’s also simplicity in being able to use a slow pot or a fast pot, a gaiwan or a cha hu, one temperature or another, etc.

Some things, in my opinion, are nonnegotiable, which is my own dogma if I am honest with myself:

* tea must be made with respect for the tea (and guests)

* tea must be made with humility (ie, no flashy motions like pouring tea from high up)

* tea should not be made with crystals or neti pots
Attachments
Exhibit A
Exhibit A
6EB1A49C-84B4-41EB-8CDE-5804C41CE8CC.jpeg (1007.31 KiB) Viewed 5523 times
Bok
Vendor

Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:26 pm

@Baisao that picture... :mrgreen:

That reminds me of this weekend:

Bumbed into a friend and she invited me to have a cup with her classmates (from a tea class). I said yes and we had tea.

Outwardly, some people might have called it simple and serene. Sitting on the floor, tea utensils put on a large piece of drift wood. Only cups, a pitcher and a gaiwan in simple off-white. Not much was spoken, yet tea was prepared in a respectful and thoughtful manner. Tea leaves presents, cups smelled, tea sipped and enjoyed.

Compare that to how people in the South mostly have tea, messy crowded tables, cheesy tea ware, animated conversations and some guy making tea all along, serving everyone.

Which one is more simple? I know the answer for myself…
Baisao

Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:33 pm

Hahaha! Yes, that is the Neti Pot School of Gongfu Cha!

The only thing you left out was the chain smoking tea master. :lol:

It’s funny now that you mention it. When I host at home it is a convivial affair and conversations are going every which way. However, when I am alone it is more meditative (though not stuffy). I listen to music as I follow the tea.

Two ways, both simple.
rdl

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:19 am

I have always appreciated this linguistic and philosophical idea from Kenneth Clark, and I see a direct correlation to this discussion.
("Kenneth Clark opens his classic study, The Nude: A Study in Ideal Form) by pointing out that"
"The English language, with its elaborate generosity, distinguishes between the naked and the nude. To be naked is to be deprived of our clothes, and the word implies some of the embarrassment most of us feel in that condition. The word "nude," on the other hand, carries, in educated usage, no uncomfortable overtone. The vague image it projects into the mind is not of a huddled and defenseless body, but of a balanced, prosperous, and confident body.."
Is not the emotional, natural, (naked) approach to tea more simple? Or is the educated, the refined (nude) approach, the Pinnacle of simplicity? I feel there is a great importance to retaining simplicity, and it's really interesting to think about from your comments what is added, what is removed, to achieve it.
rdl

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:37 am

Added:
Essence, opposites, intuition, humility and respect.
Removed:
Neti pot.
Baisao

Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:13 am

rdl wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:37 am
Added:
Essence, opposites, intuition, humility and respect.
Removed:
Neti pot.
Please forgive me if I’ve misunderstood. I might replace “opposites” with “adaptability through mastery”. To elaborate on the example above, I see no reason why great tea cannot be made with a teapot with a slower than ideal pour. The knowledge required comes through having made tea thousands of times and acquired some mastery of the subject, such that adaptation becomes second nature.
rdl

Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:36 am

Baisao,
It may be that I over generalized. I was trying to sum up your sense of mastery as intuition. And Bok's thoughts on "knowing bad to understand good," as opposites.
I debated with myself to even write that short list, but then felt these one word labels could be a peg to hang more though out opinions on.
debunix

Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:05 am

Sometimes it feels lovely and relaxing to enjoy grandpa-style leaf in a bowl....

....because it does feel simple. But as pointed out above, the seeming simplicity requires some precision in determining which teas are suitable, and understanding time and temperature and leaf-water ratio and even the heat-retention properties of the bowl to capture the best of the leaf. And since the leaves that are most suitable, IME, are the better or the best of their type (fine gaoshan, deep roasted oolongs, larger-leaf green teas with little bitterness)....well, the simplicity does hide a lot of complexity. But once you have invested in the practice to make that second nature, it becomes 'simple' again.
Tillerman
Vendor

Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:51 pm

Baisao wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:13 am
Please forgive me if I’ve misunderstood. I might replace “opposites” with “adaptability through mastery”. To elaborate on the example above, I see no reason why great tea cannot be made with a teapot with a slower than ideal pour. The knowledge required comes through having made tea thousands of times and acquired some mastery of the subject, such that adaptation becomes second nature.
I don't really like the term "mastery" (and much less "tea master") when applied to an endeavour. "Mastery" is akin to "tomorrow"; always out there but never realized.