Showering the pot

teasecret

Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:49 pm

Hello,

Just wondering, do people shower the pot with hot water before brewing, after brewing, before and after, not at all, or depending? I know it increases heat, but sometimes when I shower before and after the tea is actually weaker. Share your thoughts!
Bok
Vendor

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:03 pm

Heating the pot yes, of course!
Depending on how fragile the clay is, I start from the outside then inside. Non-sensitive clays only inside, as I’m trying to get away from the water splash style and keep things relatively dry.

That your tea tastes weaker with a preheated pot, does not makes sense whatsoever to me, must be other things that are off, unrelated to it.
teasecret

Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:13 pm

Bok wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:03 pm
Heating the pot yes, of course!
Depending on how fragile the clay is, I start from the outside then inside. Non-sensitive clays only inside, as I’m trying to get away from the water splash style and keep things relatively dry.

That your tea tastes weaker with a preheated pot, does not makes sense whatsoever to me, must be other things that are off, unrelated to it.
I'm referring to preheating the pot before each infusion (and/or during each infusion). Is that what you meant, or did you mean preheating the pot before the session starts?
Bok
Vendor

Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:42 pm

teasecret wrote:
I'm referring to preheating the pot before each infusion (and/or during each infusion). Is that what you meant, or did you mean preheating the pot before the session starts?
Ah! I was referring to preheating before the session.

I never shower the pot afterwards. Same as sweat for the human body that can actually have a cooling effect rather than warming. that depends a bit on the climate though, definitely wouldn't do it in cooler climates.

I just be careful not to have too long of a pause between infusions and to always have hot enough water.
Noonie

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:38 am

Bok wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:42 pm
teasecret wrote:
Ah! I was referring to preheating before the session.

I never shower the pot afterwards. Same as sweat for the human body that can actually have a cooling effect rather than warming. that depends a bit on the climate though, definitely wouldn't do it in cooler climates.

I just be careful not to have too long of a pause between infusions and to always have hot enough water.
Interesting, @Bok, I would never have thought of that having a cooling effect. Cool 😎