What to brew when having a cold

plod

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:23 am

'Tis the season to be phlegmatic, and I for one feel a cold coming on.

The main bothers have yet to set in, but already aromatic oolongs, senchas or dan congs are out of the picture. Today I enjoyed some leftover Chinese black teas, nothing spectacular, but quite right for the job. In the past, shou puer have retained several of its positive qualities, as smell is less of a highlight with them (for me). Robust blacks for warmth+caffeine.

Wondering what other people drink in such situations, for sustenance, caffeine and sensory pleasures?

Also open for non-caffeinated options, of course.

Bless you!
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:00 pm

plod wrote:

Bless you!
If you mean herbal teas, I suggest 2 because their flavors are strong enough to get through the muting of a cold: jiaogulan and lemongrass. The lemongrass that I drink has some pandanmus leaf which takes some acidity away. When I don't have a cold, both of these are at the edge of being too strong for me. I don't drink either more than a few times a month lately.
plod

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:16 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:00 pm
plod wrote:

Bless you!
If you mean herbal teas, I suggest 2 because their flavors are strong enough to get through the muting of a cold: jiaogulan and lemongrass. The lemongrass that I drink has some pandanmus leaf which takes some acidity away. When I don't have a cold, both of these are at the edge of being too strong for me. I don't drink either more than a few times a month lately.
Good suggestions, thanks! Now to find a decent herbalist. Have never purchased much herbal teas, just brewed mint and stuff I mostly gather myself, but that of course limits my options. Especially in winter.
debunix

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:09 pm

I like shu puerhs, basic darker roast oolongs like my go-to SeaDyke TKY, and herbal teas heavy on the lemon, lemongrass, hibiscus, holybasil, chamomile and a variety of other additions (other herbs, spices like cinnamon, cloves, rosemary, saffron).

For example....

Victoria
Admin

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:16 pm

debunix wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:09 pm
I like shu puerhs, basic darker roast oolongs like my go-to SeaDyke TKY, and herbal teas heavy on the lemon, lemongrass, hibiscus, holybasil, chamomile and a variety of other additions (other herbs, spices like cinnamon, cloves, rosemary, saffron).
Beautiful pot shot debunix. My go to is freshly sliced ginger root (boiled a few minutes) with fresh lemon juice. I also squeeze the juice out of ginger root (chop, mince in processor & squeeze juice out with muslin cloth) and keep juice in refrigerator, or freeze in small amounts, to just add directly to hot water. Hope you feel better Plod, feel for you.
plod

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:48 pm

That concoction certainly looks like it could cure something, debunix! Great list of suggestions, I will see which ones I can get my hands on and imitate you as best I can.

Thanks for the kind words, Victoria! Ginger and lemon (sometimes with a bit of honey, if throat is especially sore) is pure medicine. Drinking some right now, soothing and uplifting.
gatmcm

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:28 am

I'm going through the same myself, been drinking some shus that usually stay in the shelf, the thick broth they produce seems to bypass my clogged pipes, don't feel like wasting more subtle tea in this state
Chingwa

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:57 pm

I usually avoid drinking tea when I get sick, as it doesn't really make me feel any better. Instead I focus on making a more "medicinal" blend to treat my conditions. This usually involves steeping fresh garlic in hot water (and ginger if I have any) with a few drops of honey and about 1/8th tsp of cayenne pepper. And then sip it little by little while it's still hot. The cayenne makes it painful, but I have seen good results from the pepper on sore throat and other symptoms, and the garlic makes you reak from every poor but it does seem to help accelerate the healing process.
heichaholiday

Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:18 pm

I find kuding cha to work wonders for a sore throat and it pretty much just tastes like bittersweet pine - doesn't taste off like other teas do. I tend not to drink actual tea when sick as it kind of feels like I'm wasting it since it doesn't taste right anyway.
Nis

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:51 am

I'm partial to masala chai. My recipe is fairly similar to this:

I don't grind the spices, though. I just sort of crack them and the ginger I simply slice. And I don't use sugar or other sweetener.

Should take you less than ten minutes total to make.
pedant
Admin

Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:09 pm

plod wrote:
'Tis the season to be phlegmatic, and I for one feel a cold coming on.

The main bothers have yet to set in, but already aromatic oolongs, senchas or dan congs are out of the picture.
i actually do think sencha is an ok choice for when you have a cold.
there's good bitterness, astringency, and umami to enjoy that you don't need a properly working nose for.
my nose is all stuffed up, and i'm enjoying some that's gone stale right now.
don't throw out that old sencha. save it for next time you're sick.
chofmann
Vendor

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:54 pm

We were told by one of our Taiwanese farmers that when you are sick you should drink heavy roasted darker teas as opposed to green teas.

Just one person's opinion.
tealifehk
Vendor

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:04 am

I would say to go with green because of the polyphenols.

OK, I said that, and here's some science:

This is a study on green tea and influenza infection. Looks like consuming green tea (you'd want it fresh for maximum benefit) prevents influenza infection!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3049752/

Seems it also helps with recovery from the common cold and influenza:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?Db= ... d_RVDocSum

I know green tea makes me feel incredible and I often feel like I should drink sencha every day. I think I might just do that from now on :o
.m.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:12 pm

plod wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:48 pm
Ginger and lemon (sometimes with a bit of honey, if throat is especially sore) is pure medicine. Drinking some right now, soothing and uplifting.
If you can get some fresh tumeric i recommend trying it together with the ginger. You can simmer them together a bit for a stronger effect.
Or/and scalion roots. ;)
mudandleaves
Vendor

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:04 am

Green tea for me too.
I find strong green tea, sometimes with honey if I have a sore throat, does wonders when I have a cold.

Shu puer if I have an upset stomach.
tealifehk wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:04 am
I would say to go with green because of the polyphenols.

OK, I said that, and here's some science:

This is a study on green tea and influenza infection. Looks like consuming green tea (you'd want it fresh for maximum benefit) prevents influenza infection!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3049752/

Seems it also helps with recovery from the common cold and influenza:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?Db= ... d_RVDocSum

I know green tea makes me feel incredible and I often feel like I should drink sencha every day. I think I might just do that from now on :o