Shifting Preferences / Palate

Bok
Vendor

Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:27 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:00 am
Our preferences shift; our palates develop (hopefully); also, we want to be excited, to be on a quest. Bok has written that he thinks of 150 grams as the size of a sample because he will learn what to appreciate about a tea, how varying paramters effect the drinking, etc. I think his search for the best way to enjoy a tea can be more exciting than looking for a farmer who will sell retail or jumping to new types of a tea for a challenge (such as pu-erh). (Though about one third of 150 grams seems enough of a sample for me).
For me it boils down to this:

Do I want to know a lot of tea, but know none of them really?

Or

Do I want to know few teas inside-out?

My preference is clear, in-depth knowledge over superficial enjoyment. That is where for me part of the beauty of tea is.
Noonie

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:26 am

Bok wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:27 pm
Ethan Kurland wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:00 am
Our preferences shift; our palates develop (hopefully); also, we want to be excited, to be on a quest. Bok has written that he thinks of 150 grams as the size of a sample because he will learn what to appreciate about a tea, how varying paramters effect the drinking, etc. I think his search for the best way to enjoy a tea can be more exciting than looking for a farmer who will sell retail or jumping to new types of a tea for a challenge (such as pu-erh). (Though about one third of 150 grams seems enough of a sample for me).
For me it boils down to this:

Do I want to know a lot of tea, but know none of them really?

Or

Do I want to know few teas inside-out?

My preference is clear, in-depth knowledge over superficial enjoyment. That is where for me part of the beauty of tea is.
@Bok , I agree whole heartedly. Maybe it’s superficial (in my mind) but what also draws me to tea is the context I learn from the internet (or others in the rare circumstances I talk tea with people). Though I still consider myself a noob, so the exploration is to find that next tea to fall in love with. And some times I try a tea once (years ago), and decide to try it again...and discover that I really do like it (better quality) and thus want to know it better.

@Ethan Kurland l love your line “want to be excited, to be on the quest”. That’s it exactly!