Confronting Counterfeit Tea

Baisao

Sat May 25, 2019 8:18 pm

Bok wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:11 am
Personally I do not care about any story, I only trust what is in the cup and at the limit a few select tea friends whose taste in tea I know and trust.
This. All day long. It makes buying tea difficult from the states but there are a few people with whom I share the same likes/dislikes in various teas. I can count these people upon one mangled hand.
John_B

Thu May 30, 2019 3:08 am

Baisao wrote:
...there are a few people with whom I share the same likes/dislikes in various teas. I can count these people upon one mangled hand.
What happened to your hand?

The original article was nice; good job.

It's interesting considering how much it does or doesn't matter in different cases if a tea is what it's sold as. A lot of consumers might feel put out that their Taiwanese oolong was grown and produced in Vietnam, but in either case they're drinking the same tea. If they could appreciate the quality difference related to better Taiwanese oolongs, and of course were ok with the expense, it would be a lot harder to make that work.

The same applies to Wuyi Yancha grown in a slightly different area outside one mentioned in marketing content, or a TGY really being from Anxi. For that matter if the characteristics resulting from a sheng pu'er as being from older tree plants isn't missed then there seems to be less difference. It then makes you wonder what else might not be communicated, if the basic product information isn't.

Of course market value is a related issue; consumers who aren't at all clear on what they are experiencing, background conditions, counterfeiting risks, and relative pricing could easily pay a lot for a product and experience they're not getting, and cases outing that keep coming up. If you buy a specific product that isn't what it says (eg. Dayi 7542) that seems all the worse. I think those clear-cut cases resonate so much with people in tea groups because they realize that it's an issue that's often not flagged, so it gets more attention when it does come to light.

An interesting variation came up in the case of a vendor selling a 4 year old Vietnamese sheng version that really didn't seem that old. Or maybe it was; different factors come into play. Oddly I didn't value it more for it being aged, since in some cases newer tea is better, depending on the starting point. I mentioned it to the vendor and they claimed it was definitely as represented, that they knew that for sure based on personal experience of production, but then it seemed odd that their present tea business was younger than that tea version. Who knows what the real facts of the matter were, but at least I liked the tea.
Baisao

Thu May 30, 2019 3:21 pm

John_B wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:08 am
Baisao wrote:
...there are a few people with whom I share the same likes/dislikes in various teas. I can count these people upon one mangled hand.
What happened to your hand?
Thank you for the concern. Just a mild case of poetic license and grief over how my hands feel. Apart from the usual, all is well.
John_B

Thu May 30, 2019 10:23 pm

That reminds me, I just sprained my ankle; any herbal inputs that would help with recovery? If camellia sinensis helps I've already got that covered.

Related to that, how are the mods here about deleting unrelated tangents?
Victoria
Admin

Fri May 31, 2019 12:52 am

John_B wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:23 pm
That reminds me, I just sprained my ankle; any herbal inputs that would help with recovery? If camellia sinensis helps I've already got that covered.

Related to that, how are the mods here about deleting unrelated tangents?
Hi John, what do you have in mind ? If it’s goes with the flow of conversation I’m sure it’s fine.
John_B

Fri May 31, 2019 4:32 am

I asked in an alternative medicine group and the results were what one might expect.

One person recommended an herb that is said to have lots of healing properties, which probably aren't even broadly accepted within alternative medicine circles (Comfrey infusion internally and comfrey salve or poultice externally).

Another mentioned a relatively standard herbal-derived product, Traumeel, which contains arnica montana and other herbs, and may or may not do anything at all.

A third recommended soaking in ice and epsom salts. It seems unlikely that the epsom salts would really do much by passing through the skin. Soaking in ice water probably would be a lot more effective as an anti-inflammatory than using ice packs, which I did, per doctor recommendation.

It was just a throw-away comment. This has nothing to do with real tea and very little to do herbs. Rest, use of crutches and a brace, some icing, elevation, and later light rehab will do the trick.
Dresden

Fri May 31, 2019 11:53 pm

John_B wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:32 am
A third recommended soaking in ice and epsom salts. It seems unlikely that the epsom salts would really do much by passing through the skin. Soaking in ice water probably would be a lot more effective as an anti-inflammatory than using ice packs, which I did, per doctor recommendation.
[offtopic]

Epsom Salt breaks down into magnesium and sulfate in water, both of which can be absorbed through the skin. Magnesium is thought to fight inflammation while sulfate is thought to flush toxins and aid in nutrient absorption which may contribute to removing some of the lactic acid in the muscles and speed healing. I'm not sure how well any of this has been researched, but that is the theory.

Regarding cold vs heat, as a general rule of thumb, use ice for acute injuries or pain, along with inflammation and swelling. Use heat for muscle pain or stiffness.

Heat therapy works by improving circulation and blood flow to a particular area due to increased temperature. Heat therapy can soothe discomfort, increase muscle flexibility, relax muscles and heal damaged tissue.

Cryotherapy, such as ice baths, work by reducing blood flow to a particular area, which can significantly reduce inflammation and swelling that causes pain, usually near a join or tendon. It can also temporarily reduce nerve activity, which may relieve pain.

[/offtopic]