Great podcast about tea inheritance

debunix

Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:55 am

Francis inherited a chunk of pu'er tea from his grandfather years ago and has never tasted it. This week he learns the story of that inheritance and tastes it for the first time with tea master, Tim Hsu.
Description of a segment of this Splendid Table podcast in which Francis Lam shares a family heirloom tea with Tim Hsu of the Mandarins Tearoom. They discuss the family story of the tea, and how to taste and appreciate a lovely old Puer. It made me need to go back to one of the last few bits of a Puer cake I found in my Dads tea cupboard after his death. And I realize I should save at least on last serving of that cake to enjoy surrounded by giant Sequoias in our favorite family campground, for a very special session.
Victoria
Admin

Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:41 am

Interesting podcast, thanks for posting. At the end, I enjoyed hearing Tim say it could be steeped 60-70 times :)
FL: The technique you're using is, like you said, two-thirds water, one-third tea, and you don't steep it. You're basically pouring the hot water in and then pouring it right out.

TH: What we're doing here is just peeling the onion layer by layer, because you want to taste each layer separately. And this tea probably goes up to at least sixty to seventy times. I'm very lucky to have moments like this when someone has something that they don’t know what it is, but they know that this is my history, this is my heritage. And then we share it. This is very spiritual in a way for me. Thank you again. This is amazing.
tingjunkie

Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:53 pm

Thanks for posting!