Takashi Ichikawa article

wave_code

Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:23 pm

A very cool article on ceramic artist Takashi Ichikawa, conveniently also available in English. I've really admired the photos of his work, and from what I could gather his whole idea around settings and locations for tea. Reading this article and getting a better understanding for his approach and personality has only made me admire what he is doing even more. Looking to the past, while making something new, and approaching things with curiosity and joy rather than being overly serious or cryptic about things. Would love to have the chance to have tea in one of his creative settings some day.

https://www.chagocoro.jp/en/article/16561.html
Bok
Vendor

Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:09 pm

wave_code wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:23 pm
A very cool article on ceramic artist Takashi Ichikawa, conveniently also available in English. I've really admired the photos of his work, and from what I could gather his whole idea around settings and locations for tea. Reading this article and getting a better understanding for his approach and personality has only made me admire what he is doing even more. Looking to the past, while making something new, and approaching things with curiosity and joy rather than being overly serious or cryptic about things. Would love to have the chance to have tea in one of his creative settings some day.

https://www.chagocoro.jp/en/article/16561.html
Agreed and thanks for posting this. I hear a lot of people reporting very good things about his water kettles!
Bok
Vendor

Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:16 pm

I do love this quote in particular:
made me realize anew that tea is, of course, nothing more than a plant. I realized that if I think of tea as the leaves of a plant, that creates something I can play with as well.”
polezaivsani

Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:27 pm

That's a beautiful article indeed. Even magical in how it entwines the ideas dear to people of all walks of life, whether one makes their tea out of teabag or with prized ancient utensils, kind of 'tea is life' angle that's still steeped in the practical and down-to-earth attitude. It being a tea related article almost feels like a hoax, I enjoyed the social and cultural aspects much to grow a modest smile of the gemstones draped as tea master interview. Thank you, @wave_code!
Baisao

Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:01 am

I have one of his older kettles and after seasoning it makes the softest textured water. I love it so much I've bought a backup and a third as a gift to a dear friend. She says it makes "cloud water".

I also have some of his plates and a teapot. The teapot is really beautiful with an iridescent, metallic shimmer, but doesn't get much use since I have teapots that perform better for tea. It is not a bad teapot by any means, I just have better performing teapots for the teas that I drink. It's a lovely work of art though.