2023 Tea sourcing trip

LeoFox

Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:30 pm

DailyTX wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:15 am
Tea sample box has arrived. It will be a fun week trying different mao cha from aet. First up is the 2023 family 98 LBZ on an empty stomach. Surprisingly thick tea broth, good hui gan, slight tartness, and nice looking leaves. I used a lower than typical puerh temperature to brew this sample to prevent leaves from being overcooked. Drinking mao cha in small quantity can be educational and an enjoyment; however, drinking mao cha in large quantity is definitely a torture :lol:
Hahaha I didn't think there was any need to dial down temp for this one- I was doing 4g in 85 ml gaiwan - but used relatively fast infusions
DailyTX

Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:32 pm

LeoFox wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:30 pm

Hahaha I didn't think there was any need to dial down temp for this one- I was doing 4g in 85 ml gaiwan - but used relatively fast infusions
For this one, it can probably handle boiling temperature. It's a habit of mine to use lower temp to sample new teas or get to know more about the characteristics of a tea, mostly sheng puerh. After tasting the first infusion, if the tea needs more heat, I can still crank up the temp on 2nd infusion. If the leaves are younger, what is done is done with the boiling temperature haha. I also increased the steep time to 15-20 seconds for thorough extraction. The leaves may not last as long as fast infusions, but the flavor profile should be more define with a slight longer steep time.