Yongde wild old-tree sheng from Moychay

John_B

Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:02 am

It's more that middle part that's interesting, and perhaps worth discussing, about a more "wild" plant type input. I've tried plenty of teas presented as such and they seem to vary quite a bit. In general a set of atypical aspects keeps coming up: sourness, or in this tea's case a bit of tartness, a lack of typical sheng bitterness and astringency, flavorful teas that can be intense in a limited range, with diverse flavors that don't stick to a typical sheng range (this was citrus intensive).

This tea had a really creamy feel too, more like oolong. Ordinarily I would think they probably oxidized it some to get that result, and they may have, but brewed tea color didn't seem to relate to that. The look is unusual too, with dry leaf looking a lot like a Dan Cong, with a touch of yellow, which clearly relates to huang pian input in some leaves but for the rest it's harder to place.

I probably liked this tea even more than the review post let on, since discussing some positive aspects doesn't necessarily place that. And it being a bit atypical for sheng different people would judge differently.

Any thoughts on wild-input tea, in particular sheng? I might get around to doing a comparison post at some point, trying this alongside one or more from other places, since I think I might have teas said to be similar in that regard on hand from Thailand, Laos, and Vietnam. Maybe two versions from Myanmar too; I'd have to check.

http://teaintheancientworld.blogspot.co ... -wild.html
Last edited by Victoria on Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit: moved your post to Blogs area