Tasting tea structurally

klepto

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:25 pm

Noonie wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:33 am

I used to watch YouTube videos reviewing tea and was always turned off by the reviewers going into great depth to describe how a particular tea tastes like something else they've had, or an aroma from something that has little or nothing to do with tea (e.g., this tastes, smells or reminds me of candied pears!). I don't find such comparisons to be a sign of someone who knows tea very well (not saying they do or don't, but just because you can pick out these aromas or tastes in a tea doesn't make you an expert at discerning what is good tea, which is somewhat personal in any case).
Oh I so much agree, they throw off people who are just starting gong fu brewing. They throw out all these 'notes' that they perceive in the tea. Then I sit there with a gaiwan and I'm thinking something is wrong with my taste buds :D. Smells as well as tastes bring out memories and many things come to mind. So they might be remembering their nana's canned pineapples but there ain't no pineapple note in this tea :D.